Overnight with lump

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I prefer to use lump - I must be one of those rare people that can taste the flavor generated by charcoal when it's getting started. I swear I saw a posting about using the Minion Method with lump within the past week or two but I can't find it in an archive search.

Has anyone successfully used the MM with lump for a fairly pain-free overnight cook? I'd like to do a pork shoulder and brisket tonight for tommorrow's lunch.

I haven't done an allnighter, but I'm doing an "alldayer" now with a 5# Boston butt pork roast. I filled the ring 3/4 full with briquettes, topped that with a chimney full of lit lump. The temps stayed a fairly seady 225 for the first 5 hours. If I hadn't been removing the lid every two hours to spray with AJ and olive oil, I think they would have stayed rock solid. The butt didn't have much fat on it, so I turned it over after 5 hours and opened the vents a little. I didn't want to risk drying it out. It's been holding a steady 242 for the past hour and internal temp is 161. Was 158 when I flipped it an hour ago. I think an internal of 195 should be about right to make NC chopped BBQ.

Smokin' Jim in NC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back