Overnight pork butt -- done too soon

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

Due to too much fuel, too much wind or a malfunctioning stoker, my dinner pork butt is done at 8:00 am.

It's currently wrapped in foil and towels and resting in a cooler, but that cant go all day.

How should I prepare for dinner? Should I refrigerate and reheat? Should I pull after the butt rests or wait until reheated to pull? Any ideas appreciated.

Thank you,

-K

I suggest that you give the butt several hours in the HD foil, then pull and place in zip lock freezer bags in the frig. Save your juice after pulling. For reheating, you can use a low temp oven, 250 for an hour or so in a deep pan wrapped tightly in foil with the juice applied to prevent drying out; or, the same thing but maybe a little longer in a crockpot; or several plate fulls in a microwave at a low temp setting for 3 minutes each, testing after each minute.

Paul

I would rest and pull the pork and then reheat for dinner. Follow Pauls advice and you'll be just fine. One thing about being done early, you won't be as frazzled once guests arrive.

You didn't say you were having guests, but I assume you are. If not, just have pulled pork for lunch
icon_biggrin.gif

Hey Kelly, I made 2 butts the same time you did. I started at 8pm and both were finished by 2:00Pm. DId you stay awake all night? I did, I was overly worried about the temperature, so I decided to finish up some school work and kept my wireless digital thermometer with me. With regards to reheating, I wrapped both with double foil, pulled one of the butts 30 minutes after wrapping with foil. The other I left in the ice chest until 9pm to pull it apart. It was still very hot and moist after 7 hours sitting in the ice chest.

Eric, I put the butt on at midnight and expected it to be done around 2:00pm. I'm using a stoker and had the temp set to 230. So far, the stoker has been excellent at controlling the temperature.

However, on this night (in Kansas City) storms were approaching and the wind was howling. I suspect that the insufficient seal on the access door let in a continuous flow of oxygen for the fire. Temps were well over 300 (as I slept).

Graph of smoker/meat temp

Love the graph Kelly. Has the temp. ever increased to 350 degrees in the past? I would think the sudden increase in temperature is probably weather related and not due to your stoker malfunctioning. I am debating on buying a stoker, however not certain if it's worth the cost, especially since I am barely getting involved with bbqing (here in california, we typically grill) and don't do it often. What time did you eat? Was the butt moist? Other than the timing, did the butt turn out ok?

Erik, the stoker has always been very effective at keeping the temp in line. I believe my problem is an ill fitting access door, which is not a significant problem unless the wind is blowing 30mph.

I followed Jerry and Paul's advice and pulled after the butt rested for a couple of hours. The meat was very tender, however some of the meat at the bottom was a bit dry. That evening I put it in a foil tray, spritzed with apple juice, sealed it with foil and put it in a 250 oven for about 1 1/2 hours. It was very good, but not as moist as if it was done properly.

Fortunately, we have a large margin for error with a pork butt. I suspect anything else would have been ruined.

-K

The wildest temperature swings I have seen using my temperature controller have also been before/during a thunderstorm. Mine didn't jump up and stay high, though, they just oscillated much more than normal.

Back