Overnight Pork Butt Cook w/Piedmont Pan

Bruce Bissonnette

TVWBB Guru
Put two pork butts on the WSM at 9:30pm using the Piedmont Pan mod. Slathered both with mustard and rubbed one with Texas BBQ "Wild" rub and the other with a comb of Mary's Cherry and Smokin' Guns rub.

WSM got up to temp by 10pm and has been holding at 251 at the lid and 231 at the top grate as measured by my Nu-Temp probes.

Here's some pics of the prepped butts before they went on.

Rubbed & Ready

Looks good Bruce. Good luck with the weather. Looks a little windy and rainy in Detroit land tonight.

Let us know how the Piedmont Pan works.

Well I've got it stuck just inside my garage door, so far the PP is running great. The lid has been holding at 252-254 for almost 2 hours and the top grate has been 229-232 for the same amount of time. All three bottom vents just open a "crack"

Further updates as events warrant.
icon_biggrin.gif

Here's an update on the cook which is still in progress. I called it a night at 1:45am with the WSM humming along at 241º at the lid and 225º at the lid. Upon waking at 7:15am the temps were 222 and 212 respectively, and the meat was at 167º.

I adjusted the vents and brought the temps back into range. I added a couple handfuls of new coals around 9am. and the WSM been holding at 253/233 since and the meat now at 11am is at 185.

Won't be long now...

Well at 12:30p the NU-Temp said they were at 188, I checked with the Thermopen and they were reading between 192-197, so I pulled them off, double wrapped in foil and they are resting in an insulated cooler. Here's a final pic of the butt that was rubbed with Mary's Cherry/Smokin' Guns.

Finally Done

Looks really good. Looks like you had a pretty good night for a butt smoke. How did that pan work out - seems from your reporting that it went pretty well.

Jerry,

Piedmont pan worked very well, gets you up to cooking temp quick and holds temps steady in cooker. Had to add more Kingsford at the 13 hour mark and once it caught, the temps went up but settled right back down after a small vent adjustment and held for the rest of the cook.

I like the pan mod and will be using it again. Cleanup is a breeze.

Bruce,

My mouth is watering now. I only had McDonalds for lunch. So what do you think of the Piedmond Pan setup?

What is the Texas BBQ "Wild" rub? It looks good. Is it something you made. If so can you provide the recipe. Also you butts look shiny like they've been sauced. Is it just from the mustard and rub mixture.

Great Job!

Bruce, they look beautiful. Nice bark and a very pronounced smoke ring. I smoked two butts last week, my vegatarian boss even ate a good portion of the finished product.

Bruce,

Don't know know if you've read this post lately but I was wondering what your Texas BBQ "Wild" rub is and how I would make it. It looks very good.

Thanks!

Jonny,

"Wild" can be purchased here along with their original and Brisket Blend. I haven't tried their Wild yet but the original and BB are top notch imo. BB is excellent on butts!!

Bill

Thanks Bill, how would you describe the taste of the their Wild Rub. I went to their site but they didn't get into to the details of taste.

Thanks!

Johnny,

The Texas BBQ "WILD" rub, is excellent, in fact, may be one of the best rubs I've tried.

If you haven't tried their original or brisket rubs, any description I could give you will not mean much. There is a detectable sweetness upon first taste but it is not overpowering or "too" sweet. One of the first things you notice is the larger chunks of spices in the rub. There is some heat, a heat that I describe as a finishing heat...it's not right up front but you taste it in the back of your mouth. It is not salty at all, although there is some salt in the rub.

The taste of the bark on the one pork butt was just great, slightly sweet, great smokey flavor, just a hint of heat. It tasted like BBQ.

That's about the best I can do, you will not be disappointed.

Thanks Bruce, I must have spend a couple of hours viewing the site and I was pretty impressed. Your advice seals the deal. I've pork butt virgin and will use the Texas BBQ rub for my first butt smoke.

Thanks again!

Back