Overnight Lump cook

Rick Soliman

TVWBB Pro
Well I was so impressed with the Royal Oak Lump I used last saturday for my ribs I have decided to use it this Saturday for an over night Pork Shoulder cook.

I have always used the MM with kingsford for overnighters and never had to worry about refueling until the 19hr mark or my temps rising above the 235 mark.

So what method sould I use to fire the cooker on Saturday night around 8:00pm? I am planning on having the butt finished around 4:00pm Sunday to serve during the Bears game. I guess since I have never used lump for more than 7 hours I need some guidence. Thanks.

Rick
The Smoke Hunters BBQ

Rick- won't be bad at all. Just make sure you fill the ring up, and since it'll be chilly, you'll probably need to add some in the morning.

Also, not sure what water pan your using, but the large brinkman pan can cause you to go through a lot of fuel prematurely in the colder weather. I don't fill it up quite as much when its cold outside. Mute point if your a sand user.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Joe, interesting idea. So on a long cook in cold weather you'd use maybe a half pan of hot water and maybe check and refill with hot water before you went to bed. I never thought of the heat expended just to get all that water up to temp. Maybe that is why I used so much charcoal on my last cook. I'm also sure that a water heater blanket wouldn't hurt.

is it going to be cold in chicago? i heard that like us in va, you were going through a heat wave. today it's supposed to be 65 in wash dc, what up with that?

anyway, please let us know how your cook with lump goes. i'm thinking of giving it a whirl. i love using lump for grilling but have been reluctant to use it on long minion cooks.

I'm will be trying lump for the first time this weekend as well. 4 butts. Plan to start late Saturday afternoon and finish sometime Sunday. No time frame. Just replenishing my supply for the freezer and selling a couple. And cause I havn't smoked in a month. Gonna try my first beer can chicken this weekend too. On the kettle. All of this and we are on a diet. By the way, how many calories in 4 oz. of smoked butt.

Rick,
Just happens I am planning to do the same thing this Sat. (using lump for a long cook). I've always used Kingsford for the 10hr.+ cooks, so this should be interesting. I think I'll basically use the minion method with a small amt of lump on top of a pile of unlit lump. Probably will have to refuel at some point, but I got all day (until the Patriots play that is!)
I post the results on Sunday...

DANG!
At it looks like brisket is even worse. Thought Brisket was a lean cut of meat? other than the fat cap.
And it seems like most of the fats cooks out of a butt.

No wonder it tastes so good.

The figure at the link Joe posted is for a 238g slice, a bit more than double your 4oz serving. But it does not include rub or sauce.

If brisket were lean we'd all be smoking shoulder! It's the internal marbling (fat, connective tissue) that breaks down during cooking that makes it tender and juicy. Were it lean (think tenderloin) it would need cooking to no more than medium before it started to dry out.

That makes me feel better. At least a reasonable portion does not blow a meal. But as good as this stuff usually is, its hard to decide what a reasonable portion is.

Guess I was thinking that since brisket is generally a little tough unless cooked correctly, that is was on the lean side.

Oh well.

My DietPower program says 4 oz. roasted pork blade shoulder is 262 cal (all lean) and 307 (lean and fat).
Loren

You guys always see the glass as half empty don't you...look on the bright side, look at all that good healthy protein your getting.

There....feel better?
icon_biggrin.gif

Everyone-

Thanks for the tip I am using the Brinkman pan. And one more thing I have a poker game to go to at 6:30pm Satuday night I was planning to put the butt on at 5:00pm. Do you think I can leave for a few hours with out any temp problems? I am going to check the wind speeds and direction maybe I will have to cook in the garage.

Also I just opened my fridge and the smell of my Rub packed pork shoulder is wonderfull. I cant wait.

Thanks All and I will have several pictrues after the cook.

Rick
The Smoke Hunters BBQ

Rick,
I'm about 5.5 hrs into my cook with lump only, and still going strong. I took a look at the fire, and it looks like plenty of lump to go. I basically loaded up the ring, and put about a third of a chimney on top. When the dome temp hit about 240 I closed the vents almost fully, and got good control over the temps after that. It's been steady at 250 for hrs. now. Happy smoking!

Well I am 1hr 16 min in and the temps have been steady at 231. The wind really died so that was great calm ESE. Everyting smells wonderful. Well Iam leaveing for the poker game my wife is going to watch the temps for me while I am gone.

220??? Those butts are ready!
icon_eek.gif
icon_smile.gif

Hey, saw some smoke on the west side of town today. Wus that you Randy?

Back