Overnight cook on the lawn?

TristanH

Likely doing my first overnight cook soon (butts), and was wondering if it was considered safe to run the WSM on the lawn.

Grass isn't dry and I could wet it first.

Is this considered OK? I sometimes get yellow circles on the lawn from the 22.5" OTG so it made me wonder if having the coals so close to the grass is safe.

Thanks
Tristan

no problem as long as your grass isnt like hay. I do it sometimes as well. If your concerned just go to home depot and get some 12x12 pavers to set smoker on. Have fun

That's the answer I was hoping for.

I was thinking about bricks/stones/pavers, but we're renting and I don't want to wreck the grass too much.

Thanks Corey

Tristan

TristanH....the 12" x 12" cement "stones" is what I use. I've got 4 and my 18.5 WSM fits easily. You can just pick them up and stack'em in a garage or storage building, so that it doesn't kill the grass. They work great.

Yes, it's safe. But your WSM will start to sink into the ground over time.

For minimal impact, put a brick or paver down for each leg.

Or a small Furniture Dolly like this at Home Depot or Lowe's and add a few planks of wood.

Its safe ! BUT do not set the hot lid on your grass it a kill it in circle ! Don't ask how I know this
icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Guy Wallace:
BUT do not set the hot lid on your grass it a kill it in circle ! Don't ask how I know this
icon_rolleyes.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah ha! That must be why I get circles from the OTG
icon_eek.gif

I'll probably do this cook right on the lawn and pick up the stones eventually.

Thanks everyone

Tristan

You can pick up a 36" X 36" heat resistant (deck) pad at Canadian Tire (or Home Depot if you're outside Canada) for around $20. It's also rubber like so it catches the leakage from the bottom vents and can be rinsed with a hose.

James

Back