Over Marinating Chicken

Troy B

Hello,

During Memorial Day weekend, I will be camping with friends and everyone is picking one meal to feed everyone. I was planning on doing roadside chicken over the firepit using bone in chicken parts. What is an acceptable amount of time that chicken could be marinated using a plastic bag and no vacuum seal?

Would it taste alright if I just started marinating it before we left to go camping and sit in the marinade for 3 days?

Thanks for all of the excellent advice over the years.

Troy

My experience is you can over marinate chicken to the point where the meat gets mushy. if I were in your situation I would marinate the chicken parts for no more then 6 hours. I would then drain the marinade and return the chicken pieces to the refridgerator in the same plastic bag with as much air removed as possible. I have brined and marinaded chicken ahead of time with good results.

Same exp as Steve. But that was using a Teriyaki marinade. The RS one I believe I read can go 24 hrs, maybe more..

Tim

I've gone 2+ days w/ roadside, the more time in that marinade the better, IMHO.

Try 3, you tell me how it works out (good, I'd bet)

The vinegar in the marinade will have that chicken pickled in 3 days. I would take my chicken pieces frozen in a ziplock, make the marinade and take it along in a jar. If your food is in a cooler the chicken should be thawed in 2 days depending on the cooler. Night before or morning of add the marinade to the chicken parts. I use cider vinegar instead of the white that the recipe calls for, it's not as overpowering as the white.

Would putting the chicken in the marinade and then freezing it work? When frozen, the reactions would slow down the reactions. Defrost time would be marinade time.

Another option could be to freeze the chicken, pour marinade over the chicken and freeze again.

Last edited:
Put the marinade in a bottle and freeze the chicken and take it in the cooler. It will be thawing a bit and 24 hours before cooking, start the marinade process.

Back