Ovens with Air Fryer mode.

What do people think of these wire baskets? Are either of these good enough to use in my Oster toaster oven?

Main use would be fries, fried fish sticks or fillets, when I have a smaller quantity.

10" square:

1878924.jpg

9" square:

1344451.jpg

@Arun what basket came with your Oster and what is driving you to search for a different basket?

I may be way off base but when I bought our Ninja Air Fry Oven it replaced this old Oster convection oven:

1614451159622.png

(Well, that part is not off base; it's a fact). The old Oster served us well for some items. But over the past 3 months of using our Ninja I've been very well-pleased with it and use it for more foods than those cooked in the Oster. It feels to me that the Ninja's food group settings determine fan speed and upper/lower heat element cycles, which contribute to a better cooking experience. Some of it involves a little trial and error but its manual (and inspiration guide) provide a very good starting point. Case in point: if I do tots and the edges are too brown but the guts are not overdone then I lower the temp on the next attempt. If I do grilled cheese and the cheese is well-melted but the toast is not to my liking then I start with just the toast with a light shade setting, then add cheese, and continue the cook.

Last edited:
When I wrote that I'm very well-pleased with it I should share this: there are times that a dropping or crumb or something will fall on the lower elements and when that happens it gets quite smoky in the oven. For some items I can cook on an upper rack and place foil over a vacant lower rack to avoid the dropping but that process is not always practical.

@Arun what basket came with your Oster and what is driving you to search for a different basket?

I may be way off base but when I bought our Ninja Air Fry Oven it replaced this old Oster convection oven:

View attachment 23263

(Well, that part is not off base; it's a fact). The old Oster served us well for some items. But over the past 3 months of using our Ninja I've been very well-pleased with it and use it for more foods than those cooked in the Oster. It feels to me that the Ninja's food group settings determine fan speed and upper/lower heat element cycles, which contribute to a better cooking experience. Some of it involves a little trial and error but its manual (and inspiration guide) provide a very good starting point. Case in point: if I do tots and the edges are too brown but the guts are not overdone then I lower the temp on the next attempt. If I do grilled cheese and the cheese is well-melted but the toast is not to my liking then I start with just the toast with a light shade setting, then add cheese, and continue the cook.

No basket came with the Oster toaster oven. I've had that one for 11 years.

What's driving me to get a basket, is that I recently replaced my big oven, with a duel fuel one. Gas cooktop, electric oven.

One of the features of the oven was that it had an Air Fry mode, and it came with a wire basket.

I tried it for a few things, and I like how fries came out in it.

However, given that I just make them for myself, instead of heating the big oven, I want to see if I can use the same concept with my Oster toaster oven.

Previously, when I used the Oster toaster oven for fries, it would be in a flat pan. They came out fine, but I want to try things with a wire basket, as I think the better air circulation helps.

So, I'm trying to take the same concept of the big wire basket for my big oven, and find a small wire basket to my Oster toaster oven.

You could try that basket if you're not concerned about small pieces falling through. If you're still looking for a more traditional basket you could check to see if this will fit: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0848Q8X7N/?tag=tvwb-20

(When you factor-in shipping from Webstaurant this Amazon basket is no more expensive unless you have a program with them)

That basket looks pretty good, thanks.

Question: Is it ok if pieces stack a little bit? Like french fries? Or is it best to really keep things in a single layer?

I tend to make 2 - 3 different types of fries at a time, so I don't want the different pieces touching too much. When using the big oven with that basket, I can spread it out.

With a smaller basket, I might have to stack a little bit. Won't know until I have it in my hand for sure, and I try it out.

How is a microwave air fryer different than a normal stand alone air fryer?

A normal air fryer is just an air fryer. The one I have is a microwave that also is an air fryer

I think when I asked my question, what I was trying to get at was this.

A standalone air fryer, and a microwave air fryer, probably heat things differently? Due to the way their technologies work. So if so, what differences do you think that would make?

I think when I asked my question, what I was trying to get at was this.

A standalone air fryer, and a microwave air fryer, probably heat things differently? Due to the way their technologies work. So if so, what differences do you think that would make?
We had the large Phillips standalone air fryer and it worked a bit faster than our combo air fryer/microwave. But, it was bulky, a bit of a pain to clean, and only did one thing. So, the combo unit works great for us.

Thanks.

Have you tried to make the same thing, in both regular microwave mode, and air fryer mode? Do you notice a difference?

Thanks.

Have you tried to make the same thing, in both regular microwave mode, and air fryer mode? Do you notice a difference?
Yeah, I did the little frozen pizzas as a test. The air fryer did them in 8 minutes from the freezer. Same thing in the microwave version was 10 minutes. But, even having the largest air fryer on the market, the basket size was a bit small versus what I can fit in the combo unit. 20-30% more cook time is more than worth it when you consider you can do one cook versus the sometimes multiple cooks in the traditional air fryer. Also, with the Panasonic's combo mode of microwave and air fryer, I can do that same frozen pizza in 5 minutes and it still gets that air fryer texture.

Yeah, I did the little frozen pizzas as a test. The air fryer did them in 8 minutes from the freezer. Same thing in the microwave version was 10 minutes. But, even having the largest air fryer on the market, the basket size was a bit small versus what I can fit in the combo unit. 20-30% more cook time is more than worth it when you consider you can do one cook versus the sometimes multiple cooks in the traditional air fryer. Also, with the Panasonic's combo mode of microwave and air fryer, I can do that same frozen pizza in 5 minutes and it still gets that air fryer texture.

Thanks for the detailed description.

So if I understand correctly, had you done the pizza in normal microwave mode, it would have had a soft texture.

When using the microwave in air fryer mode, or your standalone air fryer, you get the crispy texture.

Thanks for the detailed description.

So if I understand correctly, had you done the pizza in normal microwave mode, it would have had a soft texture.

When using the microwave in air fryer mode, or your standalone air fryer, you get the crispy texture.
Yes, that's correct. A microwaved pizza or any frozen item is never crisp. The air fryer is particularly good for these items.

Also, the Panasonic comes with an enameled pan, an elevated grill grate, and a fryer basket that all work together or separately. The elevated grate and enameled pan can be used in microwave and combo modes. The fryer basket can only be used in non-microwave modes. Like I said before, it has replaced our microwave, air fryer, and toaster.

Back