Outside condensation?

Ray Crick

TVWBB Emerald Member
I am currently smoking a Boston butt and for the first time ever I am having condensation drip on the deck under the WSM. It is cold here (currently 32 but was down to 27 overnight). I have full pan of water and the condensation is colored (looks like some of the rub may be mixing with the water vapor). I do not want to take anything apart to look inside. The condensation is coming out of one of the bottom vents.

Is this common?

Thanks,

Ray

I usually get some kind of drip from the bottom when I have a full water pan. Sometimes its from the water "wicking" out of the foil liner in the water pan. I am not always real careful foiling the pan. I keep my WSM on an oil drip pan just in case.

Thanks Craig - I thought I was careful with my foil, but I may not have been. I have a fiberglass mat that I always use under the WSM so I just put a folded paper towel under to catch the drippings (and the towel is not touching the WSM).

When the butt is done, I'll look inside and see what I find.

Ray

What ever that is, it's normal. It's not from the water pan because I use sand and I get it at the begining of some cooks. That's one reason I keep a drip pan under my WSM. That stuff is nasty.

Thanks Jerry,

I have not gotten this before - but this was my coldest cook. After removig the butt, I checked and it was not from the water pan so must have been some kind of condensation. Anyway, butt is now resting and waiting to be pilled in another 30 minutes. Yeah!

Ray

Back