2 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 small head iceberg lettuce, trimmed and quartered
1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 small red onion, sliced
4 slices bacon, cooked and finely chopped
1/4 cup coarsely crumbled Danish blue cheese

Directions
Make the dressing: Whisk the mayonnaise, vinegar, buttermilk and sugar in a small bowl. Stir in the blue cheese and season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate until chilled, about 30 minutes.

Meanwhile, make the glaze: Combine the sugar, balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons water in a small nonstick skillet. Bring to a simmer over medium heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Pour into a small bowl and let cool.

Make the salad: Divide the iceberg wedges among plates. Spoon the dressing on top, letting it run down the sides. Drizzle all over with some of the glaze, about 1 teaspoon per wedge (you will not need all the glaze). Top with the tomatoes, red onion, bacon and blue cheese.

@Joan I LIKE IT! In fact, I think it was at Outback that I first had a blue cheese wedge salad. I still fix my version of it for myself once in a while. Sheila can't each cheese or bacon sadly. And doesn't like blue cheese anyway...

The best version of this I had was at the Faultline Brewery which I stumbled on in Santa Clara while on a business trip. They provided a head of Romaine lettuce instead of a wedge. I've done that one too. Mine are simpler -- Marie's Chunky or Extra Blue Cheese dressing, blue cheese crumbles with bacon and other stuff.

I have very fond memories of that nice brewery. Flew in early Sunday, found the brewery across from my motel and went for a late lunch (the salad). I ended up sitting beside their interior pond, going through all their beers over the afternoon, talking with the waiter and ended with a great steak dinner. Before I left, he brought me two nice tulip beer glasses with the Faultline logo -- gratis! Years later in 2010 during a 7-week road trip around the western side of the US, I took Sheila there and had lunch with an old college friend to us both. Like I said, great memories.

This is the logo on the t-shirt I bought on that last trip.
20230813_144419.jpg

Besides the cheese (of course lol) DH liked the Balsamic glaze that gets drizzled over the salad.

I also would have liked more onion on mine.

Back