Out of Rancher

Jerry Pollard

TVWBB Super Fan
I plan a big cook this weekend. Used my last bag of Rancher couple weeks ago. I do not like
K charcoal. Thinking of going to wally world and try some SAMS choice. Anyone tried this.
Or maybe some RO?

I love Rancher, I have 600 lbs in my garage. I use kingsford for my grilling most of the time. Sams choice has a lot of fillers and will give you lots of ash. But Id try RO briquette or lump. I love rancher only use yucca strch as a binder and not all the BS that goes into lower quality briquettes.

I dont use the Rancher for grilling cause there is not much around, so I save that w/ my long cooks on my smoker cause it burns so well. Id try to get some RO lump for grilling. Alot less ash, but it does burn a little hotter as well.

Sam's is made by RO but with a bigger mold, same as their hardwood briqs. RO also makes the briquettes sold under the Ace Hardware logo, so basically the same as the regular RO briqs. I've noticed that all the RO briqs burn with a much nicer smell than the Kingsford product. Lots of restaurant supply stores sell the RO Chef's Select Briquettes. They are very similar to Rancher but contain larger briquettes as they use the same mold they use for the Sam's choice.

Sam's choice is a good briquette. It burns all the way through and that's what I look for in a briquette. Like most briquettes, expect a lot of ash. In my WSM, ash isn't an issue.

I agree on Rancher. It's my favorite briquette these days but it's hard to find. I only have 5 bags left.

i saw a pallet of sams one day and it verified that its made by royal oak. i ;ile the stuff and its reasonably priced. so go ahead and use it. you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Back