OTS Ash Pan - How do you guys get them clean?

Greg Y

TVWBB Pro
Because of this site, I picked up a 2012 OTS from Craigslist for cheap and for reasons that I do not fully comprehend I am cleaning it up to make it look close to new (thanks a lot guys). I have everything looking great except for the "hubcap" ash catcher. I am afraid to use Easy Off on an aluminum part, because I have seen it discolor aluminum parts before. How do you guys do it?

First I use some degreaser with steel wool '0000', then if it still needs more - usually steel wool with degreaser will clean it up good - but if it needs more I use CLR for aluminum / steel with steel wool. I have had very good results. and for the legs I use mothers mag / aluminum polish

Degreaser, then steel wool - 0 to start, 00 or a step higher to finish. Can polish up to as good as new, but I don't see the point in two much effort since it'll look the same a few cooks afterward.

Leave the ash pan native.... it is just an ash pan...

BUT -- share your technique for shining up the Kettle body... a buddy gave me his old OTS (1984 model) so I'd like to shine it up a bit...

I'm going to pop for the OTG ash pan assembly and hose clamp it in place... the one thing I don't like about that grill is the doggone ashes.

-Tom in SoCal

The exterior of mine is black so I just wipe it clean and remove any drips on the black finish. On the in side I just empty is out unless there is a greasy build up the I clean it as the others have said degreaser, and steel wool or scotch brite pad.

Back