Other comfort foods?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

This will sound like the ravings of a lost soul to most at this forum.

After smoking every weekend since getting my WSM, (8 weeks) I have now smoked 2 briskets, 4 pork butts, and 8 sets of rib cooks. I was curious what people turn to if they are somewhat sick of smoked taste. (if only for 1 weekend)

Any input is requested, even the required jabs for non-smoking

Open your favorite non-bbq cookbook, pick a recipe, and make a mess in the kitchen for a change!!

Pasta's always good.

Stuffed chicken breasts.

Lamp chops.

I could go on......

Rich G.

Troy,

There's no rule that says that you have to put wood chunks on the fire. You might try a boneless leg of lamb with little to no wood. Just don't cook it too much, <140 internal.

I sort of understand what you mean. I've been finding out that I don't really care much for the flavor of smoke on my beef. It's good on turkey and pork (But not to strong). But on beef it actually seems to take away from the flavor for me. So for now on I'll just cook any roasts, briskets, any beef with just charcoal, no wood.

But yes I agree with Don Miller. You don't have to use wood everytime you cook on the smoker. Think of it as an outdoor oven. Pretty much anything you can bake in kitchen you can do on the WSM IMO.

Dennis, it seems to me that beef tends to pick up smoke more easily than other meats. When I've used wood chunks on my briskets, it definitely stands out. Sometimes I prefer to use about a third of a cup of Candy Weaver's little BBQer Delight wood pellets in a HD foil pouch when I do brisket. That way, I still get a touch of smoke, but without near the impact of using chunks. Lots of variety of woods, too. Not a thing in the world wrong with using only charcoal, either. My sister-in-law doesn't like the taste of smoked meats, but the charcoal-only approach tastes fine to her.

You know, I've even baked biscuits in the WSM when I didn't want to heat up the kitchen. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back