OTG Transformation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Colby

TVWBB Member
So my OTG went through a transformation the other day.
imag0016.jpg

Now my performer has brother.
IMAG0017.jpg

Thanks for the compliments.
Well to start I work at a machine shop. In order to make the cart it took a very technical process.

OK I'm sorry I had to do that. Actually I bought an entire grill from a local retailer for the cart. The grill out of it I sold. I have a few tweeks to do to make it fit better but overall it worked out really well. After selling the grill I only have $60 into it and about 30 minutes of time to assemble. As a bonus it came with a chimney as well that hangs under the cart for storage.

I was going to make a cart but for the cost and time I would have had into it I figured this was the fastest and cheapest way.

IMAG0012.jpg

Steve
Hope you took plenty of pictures of your modifications. There are lots of us who would like to see the mods and how they were done to mount the otg

eagerly awaining your post

Dang Steve that baby looks like it "grew there". Which is " carpenter speak " for a job well done!!
icon_cool.gif

Tim

Thanks guys. Really all I did was take the grill I purchased and put the cart together without it. Then I took my otg and dropped it in. As far as mods the only thing I am going to do is raise the bowl up about 1-1/2". It fits tight to the rails as is and I want a little space between the bowl and the rail.I was able to drop the otg in as it already had brackets on it as though it came off a performer. My good friend Pat Smith my have a bit more info about this as the grill came from him as a gift. It was a great surprise and I really apreciate it to this day. I was really excited to be able to transform it. I never realized how much I would use a side table until I had one. And now I have two. One for the front of the house when the kids are out playing and one for on the deck. For those of you wondering I purchased it from a local meijer store. they are on clearance and I am not sure how many more are around.

Steve just completed the process I stared when I found the grill from another member here on the board. I intended to make Steve a cart for it before I gave it to him but like Steve, the time factor kept me from doing it and I wasn't as good at spotting things as Steve was.

The grill actually is a charcoal bowl and dome from either a Performer or an OTP. It has the flanges on the charcoal bowl to mount on a cart. If it didn't have the flanges, you would have to add them - 1" L shaped aluminum works well for that, but it's hard to get it bolted on in just the right position.

The REAL key was Steve keeping out a keen eye and finding the Performer imitation at Mejers. He did a fabulous job getting it set up.

Looking forward to seeing it in person when I come back up over Labor Day.

Pat

Thanks Pat. I have had my eye or mind on a cart for a while as you know. I look forward to you guys coming up. I will transport it to the lake that weekend and we can give it the traditional lake diner, porterhouse from bp. As for now I will give it it's "new" break in next week with some burgers.

I'm boycotting "BP" - its now officially referred to as the "Gowen General Store!"

Ask Jean to cut them for you the way she does for me! Jean loves me!

Pat

Well done! That looks excellent! I like that it has a handle for wheeling it around, like the older Performer.

-Mark.

thanks. when I get all the slight mods to make it fit better I will take some picks of it and post them. I am alo going to see if I can add a bin underneath like the performers have to store charcoal and what not.

Hey Steve - Lowe's and Wal-Mart sell a covered plastic "charcoal bin" by Kingsford. It MIGHT fit on the right hand side of the grill and sit on the grate underneath the table. It might be too tall, but you could get a plastic Rubbermaid container in the right size and sit it on the wire grate under the table. Might want to see how hot it gets down there when the grill is fired up!

No grilling here tonight - fried chicken in my cast iron dutch oven instead!

Pat

Steve,
What is the model/part # for grill with the cart? I searched for it by name but only come up with the "kettle" only model.
Thanks

Mac,
I will have to do some looking as well. I don't have the box as I sold the grill and gave the person the whole box with it. I will ask to see if I can get it.

Pat,
That is what I was thinking as well. I have been looking at them every time I am there.

Here are the pics of what I did to raise the bowl some. Few more tweeks and everything will be good.
IMAG0030.jpg

IMAG0033.jpg

Mac,
Here is the numbers
Item# 2660405 22
Model# CBC610D.
I did a quick search and nothing came up using any of the numbers. It may have been a one time/seasonal thing here. I was just a my local store and I did not see any more. The other store that I bought mine from had 4-5 when I picked this one up but I am not sure if they have any more. I might be able to stop by and check this weekend as I am heading over that way.
UPC.jpg

I found this grill here in south texas at the megamart HEB. all of their stores have it in some number. the price at HEB is 99.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back