Ornamental Cherry Tree

G

I have an ornamental cherry tree that needs to be cut down due to an insect attacking the bark and roots in certain areas. The tree has recently died and I will cut it down soon. My question is: Can I use the wood to smoke with and will the smoke be the equivalent of a fruit bearing cherry tree? Also, the wood looks fine from an appearance standpoint?

It's my understanding that ornamental fruit woods work as well as wood from fruit bearing trees. I would think that ornamental cherry would be an excellent smoke wood.

Jim
--

Thanks Jim, I'll give it a smoke and see what happens and report back

Rick, I just was given some apple wood from a friend's orchard. When I asked on this forum if I could leave on the bark, Kevinator quite wisely suggested I should remove the bark if any pesticide had been used on the apple tree.

You might keep that in mind re your cherry tree.

Virgil

Thanks Virgil, your suggestion noted and I'll remove the bark and any nasty insects unless they'll add some flavor... fear factor style

Rick I've been happily living off the wood from a non fruit bearing cherry we took down 3 years ago.

Store it where it won't rot and enjoy it. (ditto the comments on the bark due to the pesticides.)

Back