Original Wolfe rub users questions on butts and BB's

Vince B

TVWBB Pro
Hey guys I have a couple questions concerning Larry's rubs. Tonight I wanted to do an overnighter with a couple of boneless shoulders. Then tomorrow I want to make some ribs. This will be my first time using his original rub on these.

My question is do you guys use a mustard or oil to help the rub stick better? I have used both with other rubs just wanted to get some advise from you guys.

Also What type of wood chunks would you recommend. I just scored apple, cherry, and pecan from Weber at a local Ace hardware near the house. I do have some hickory as well.

i just sprinkle the rub on and let it sit for an hour in the fridge and then sprinkle some more on. as far as wood apple and pecan are my favorites so either would work well.

I put mustard on both butts and ribs prior to applying rub. It definetly helps.
As far as wood is concerned..... I use three... Hickory, apple and pecan. I like the the boldness of hickory and mix it with some sweetness of apple. Pecan is a good all around smoking wood. However, if I could just pick one, it would be hickory...

Thanks for the replies guys. I know that with some of the Weber marinades I have used one of the ingredients is oil, with water and then a spice package mixed in. I just thought this might help.

I have used mustard a few times on ribs and I think only once when doing butts. I have tried Wooster a couple of times on brisket and maybe I will try that sometime with butts.

As for tonight's cook I didn't use either of my above ideas. I got to thinking that with the use of Kosher salt in the rub, I have found that it makes meat start to sweat. With that being said after one good coat the butt had a nice glaze going on after about 20 minutes. I then sprinkled it a few more times on all sides while I was getting my fire going. It looked pretty well coated and smelled incredible.

Smoker has been going for about an hour now and we will see how it turns out in the morning. Thanks again guys and if anyone else would like to chime in that's fine. Vince

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince B:
As for tonight's cook I didn't use either of my above ideas. I got to thinking that with the use of Kosher salt in the rub, I have found that it makes meat start to sweat. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly Vince.

Sorry I didn't get your e-mail until this morning, but you should have a reply in your box! Hope the butts and ribs turn out great!

No problem Larry. Just pulled the butts off about an hour ago at just above 190*. They were definitly fork tender. As I removed them a huge chunk came out with a large fork trying to pull them off. Picture this big butt with a hole in it! That sounds so wrong!

Foil and resting in the cooler while I reloaded some charcoal in the wsm for the ribs. Kind of did a reverse minion is what I did. Basically pilling the lit coals in the middle of the wsm and then added unlit to the outside of them. Added some more pecan and apple chunks and we're off to the races!

Thank you so much for your time. Vince

Back