Original Kettle Premium 26

JHunter

TVWBB Super Fan
So i was looking for the 26" OTG, they don't make that anymore. I was miffed initially because the 26" OTG was only $299 (and I felt that was the best deal out there in Weber Kettles excpet for the 18" Jumbo Joe on sale for $30 last year). But the wife got me the Premium 26 for Christmas and I have to admit, I am really digging this thing.

Couple of thoughts:

1. I like the higher height and increased cooking area. Those were the main reasons I wanted this setup.
2. I did not like the old ash bucket on the otg. It twisted off and was not as easy to get into place. I actually preferred the silver with a metal bucket underneath.
3. The new ash catcher is sweet. Squeeze and it drops down... to put it back slide it into the hooks and the handle snaps into place nice.
4. Legs. I was really concerned about these as I have heard of leags falling out (happened to me with my OTS until I screwed them in). These legs have a spring clasp to hold the onto the kettle, and the fit is TIGHT. The grill feels so sturdy that I am not looking to do any mods onthe legs.
5. Lid Handle, there should be a second one for cooking in the front. I am probably going to add one so that the lid lifts up like the old OTP grill.
6. Thermometer is opposite the smoke vents. I prefer having the vents and the thermometer on the same side. I primarily cook with a fire to one side, and the food to the other, where the thermometoer is located now, it will be directly over the fire. Not good.
7. The one touch system actually has the open and close sections marked pretty accurately, enough that I only needed to mark where the halfway point is located.

All told I am pretty happy with this puppy, I am going to get a cover before I put her out to the elements, but the engeineering is better on this one. I still would have paid for a side table (ala the performer). But I have a table I am going to use so I am fine.

If anyone else has one chime in...

looks like the PERFECT Grill.
I have the older model OTG with the ash catcher you talk about twist off... yeah, the newer version looks like a keeper!
I never had a problem with the legs falling off, but everyday use here does / did make it wobbly.

I get what you mean by the therm and top vent being on opposite sides... I also prefer them the old way.
Perhaps if I buy the new model, i'll keep the old lid :D

Thanks for your post Jim!

I'm excited for the new 2015 model. With the wider lid bale and I like the new style wheels. I can't wait to see the new ones in person.

Can anyone list all of the differences between the 2014 and 2015 26.75 models? I am wondering if the new one is indeed worth paying more for.

Greg Y,

I would say that if you can get the older version for $299 then do so.. I wish I had ordered earlier, BUT the new changes do make me feel like the extra $50 went to something.

J

Back