Ordering Cryovac Meat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark G.

Hello fellow smokers!
I've recently gotten my first WSM and love it! I've been able to succefully smoke many meats except one...brisket.
I'm getting there though and need some help. I was wondering if anyone knows of a website or maybe even a processing plant outside Chicago where I can have a brisket delivered to me. None of the shops near me have decent brisket.
Please help!!!

Smoke on

Mark

There's a CostCo near me. I like their selection of steaks, but I keep reading about people ordering the Cryovac briskets and how great they are. I believe the briskets on the recipe page are all cryovac.
I guess I should just keep trying with CostCo.
Thanks Jeff!

Most all meats come to warehouse club stores packaged in Cryovac. They then either offer them for sale as-is, or break them out, cut them up, and repackage in styro trays. At Sam's, for example, the individual pork butts in styro packs came in as two packs in Cryovac. If you ask, they will sell you a two pack still in Cryo from the back. Two advantages-- a cheaper per pound price, and a longer period to decide to cook or freeze.

You can find pork butt at costco (you have to ask---they'll have a cryovac 2 pack in the back if yer lucky) but they don't get briskets, at least not whole, untrimmed ones like I'm looking for.

I get all my cryovac untrimmed packer briskets at Wal_mart. Can't beat the price, bought 3 of them last week for $1.28 lb.They range from 10 -14 lbs. Hope this helps

I went in to my local grocery store and I've gotten to know the meat manager by calling and ordering with him, asking them to butterfly fresh chickens for me at the counter ... anyway when I bought my last two butts I asked him for a deal on the cryovacs cuz all he had to do was weigh it and slap a price sticker on it. He didn't even flinch. He took a little better than $1 /lb off! Sometimes it pays to ask .....

Hi Mark,

Click "Find" at the top of this page and do a search on the phrase "peoria packing". You'll end up with two topics that contain good info about at least two good meat sources in the NW Chicago area.

Regards,
Chris

If you don't mind me asking, which side are you coming from in Chicago?

I'm from the southwest side and looking for a good butcher. I tried a butt at this local meat market, but I didn't think it was all that great. Maybe I did something wrong, but I was thrilled about it.

One place that I've heard they have good meat is Walts. It's out in Tinley Park. Also, surprisingly, Sams Club is also very good. I picked some ribs up from them this weekend and cooked them. I thought they were the best ribs in the world. Extremely happy with them!!!

Mike W.,

I'm not the OP but Palatine is a far northwest suburb. It's more or less north of where I-90 & I-290 meet and about 35 miles or so from downtown Chicago. I'm in Bolingbrook (the land of the Old Chicago mall for those that remember back the far) and Palatine is around 30 miles north of me.

Sam's is one of the places near me I purchase meat from and have had good results. They only normally stock brisket flats although you could probably have something special ordered.

In Chicago itself you can check out some of the following sources:

Peoria Packing
1300 W. Lake
Chicago
Ribs/Shoulder/Butt/Chicken

Ex-Cel Corned Beef
1009 W. Lake
Chicago
Packer brisket/corned beef

I know a friend who gets shoulder from another place in the same neighborhood but can't recall the name.

These places only take cash IIRC.

I'll have to check out Peoria Packing.

My g/f's dad works(ed?) at some meat packing plant in Chicago. We lived in Bridgeport so I think it was around there. He was able to get her these EXCELLENT chicken breasts and pork loins. I have never had anything so good from anywhere else, but you had to buy like 20lbs at a time. The breasts were huge, and you had to manually cut the loin up by hand, so it was sort of a pain.

Does anybody know of anywhere like this? Supposedly, they sold them to restaurants. But I've never been to a restaurant around here that had chicken that good.

Also, I work right next to Bolingbrook. The one meat market that is around there that's fairly good is called "Jim's Meat Market" on Cass Avenue at Plainfield Road. I live on the south side, near Oak Lawn.

Happy Smoking. :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back