Ordered a pellet grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay D in Jersey

TVWBB Wizard
After researching and looking at what few grills are on display in the big box stores, I ordered the Nexgrill Oakford 580 from Home Depot. Will pick it up in a Delaware store sometime next week.

Recommendations for decent pellets?

Thanks

Screenshot_20240215-155517_Chrome.jpg

I sold my Traeger a few years back and replaced it with an E6....best decision I have made.
Talk about easy cooks......the only downside is my jerky machine..... ( what I called my Traeger ) leaves me jerkyless.......

I would not have great expectations for a $367 pellet grill. Have fun with it, but remember that's 55HP GEO. YMMV
Another guy associating quality with price. How'd that work out for all those Weber Smoke Fire folks with total product failures within one year? But remember that '82 Cadillac Cimarron YMMV.

Last edited:
Another guy associating quality with price. How'd that work out for all those Weber Smoke Fire folks with total product failures within one year? But remember that '82 Cadillac Cimarron YMMV.

Generally speaking..... " you get what you pay for " is something that I understand and believe in most cases.
Sometimes little gems sneak through and one would really have a great item that sold for a really great price.
As we travel round and round the sun I find this last statement to be occurring a lot less often than we would maybe like......

I wish you luck and from my past experience having an old Traeger I would think the more simple it can be the better it will work for you.
My Traeger was fairly basic, I know the new owner and all parts are still original from when I picked it up.....digital temp reads a bit higher than where you set it but it works just the same.
Not a fan of new tech myself.....I don't even own a cell phone........personal tracking device........or pocket computer or whatever they are these days.

I think it will work for you, personally I would go out of my way to manage grease and whatnot....these poopers will get dirty fast if you are not careful.

Yep, they can get dirty BUT, so easy to clean and quick. On either of mine I can do a deep clean in under 10 min if I take my time. If I want to go nuts I might spend 20 min

My Smoke Fire went just shy of three years before giving me any problems, and fortunately it started giving me problems before the 3-year electrical warrantee is up. Now as far as the Cimarron goes, it's a GEO in what's supposed to be "luxury" cars, it was the cheapest Caddy you could buy back then. Heck, my 1981K5 was more expensive than the Cimarron, and it's still going strong, albeit new motor and two new transmissions, so I'm not getting your reference there

Tell you what... Let's bet $25 on your grill. You take a picture of your first cook, cooking in your grill, and 18 months later you take a picture of it still cooking and I'll send you $25. If you can't take a working picture of it in 18 months, you'll owe me $25. Post the picture here

When I had my pellet grill I'd get pellets at HD or Costco.
Sometimes Costco had Louisiana Grill brand maple hardwood. These were excellent but I haven't seen them in a while.
Costco also had the Traeger Gourment blend. I didn't care much for the gourmet blend but I think that's my preference. The quality was fine.

I also used Pit Boss brand Hickory and Mesquite, and still use them in smoke tubes.

My Smoke Fire went just shy of three years before giving me any problems, and fortunately it started giving me problems before the 3-year electrical warrantee is up. Now as far as the Cimarron goes, it's a GEO in what's supposed to be "luxury" cars, it was the cheapest Caddy you could buy back then. Heck, my 1981K5 was more expensive than the Cimarron, and it's still going strong, albeit new motor and two new transmissions, so I'm not getting your reference there

Tell you what... Let's bet $25 on your grill. You take a picture of your first cook, cooking in your grill, and 18 months later you take a picture of it still cooking and I'll send you $25. If you can't take a working picture of it in 18 months, you'll owe me $25. Post the picture here
Nice!

Yeah. I get that you're a bit sore after your stupid Geo post. I've been around long enough to know I don't take any advice from a truck driver. But thanks for playing sweet pea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back