Opinions please. Newbie looking for a restoration project

On my Genesis 2, the serial number appears in two locations:

1) Remove the wooden work surface on the RIGHT side, there's an oval-shaped sticker on the frame.

RaIMmXJ.jpg

j7YIgZP.jpg

2) Remove the burner control knobs. I believe there are plastic clips in the right edge of the control panel that pop out and the panel lifts right out. There's a large sticker on the bottom of the panel.

vzh5VNb.jpg

If it's L3 xxxxxx it's a Genesis 2. If it's KL3 xxxxxx it's a first-year (1993) Genesis 2000. If it's EH xxxxxx or another two-letter code, it's a 1994 or later Genesis 2000 and can be dated using the table here: How To Determine The Age Of Weber Grills & Smokers

Thanks, have a new project and the frame label is long erased! Will look under the control panel.

Hi Ryan,

Welcome! I am a newbie myself and have only restored a few grills to date. I agree that the lid powder coating sounds like a definite problem. With a lot of work, it MIGHT all come off, but if the original owner felt he needed to powder coat, you have to wonder what is underneath(?) On the other hand, I personally really like the larger size platform with more wood to show off when you get it redone. It also has the original wood handle; these are getting pretty scarce, and replicating one isn't very easy unless you have equipment and woodworking skills. In my limited experience here in Florida these grills are getting a lot less common on craigslist, etc. So, if you really like the overall grill I would go along with the suggestions to wheel and deal. (Based on S. Florida, anyway, I would think $50 might be fair.). If the lid turns out to be a loss, you ultimately can save the sides, logo and thermometer (if it still works) and try to find another lid when you can. You might be able to find a grill with a decent lid that is otherwise trashed and get it for little or nothing.

Like I said, I am only a newbie, so I would listen very carefully to some of the more seasoned restorers here. Best wishes!

Here's a picture of a similar grill beautifully restored by a guy in the Palm Beaches but in "brunette!"

15comls.jpg

I love redheads, but prefer brunettes :eek:. I think the black lid better contrasts the stained wood, but I may be a heretic for thinking so!

Jon

Back