Opinions Please. First Smoke

Gunar

TVWBB Member
Today very shortly I am gonna smoke this chicken seasoned with Butt Rub and some olive oil.

IMG_0028.jpg

I bought a bag of RO that looked liked small small pieces. Is this common?

IMG_0030.jpg

A little less than 1/2 filled with 5 chunks of apple wood.

IMG_0031.jpg

I bought this thermometer from Academy and realized after I got home it will do food only and highest temp is 300 before it shuts off. Probably will be buying another for internal smoker temp. Well there it is for now. Let me know what you think. I am going to light coals. I bought the Weber chimney and lighter cubes. Also, another grate which I am happy about because all those small pieces. I tied them together with some wire so the wouldn't slide around. Let me know what you think.

IMG_0029.jpg

Looks like a nice bag of lump to me. Bags of every brand will have some small pieces. Now if the bags of a certain brand have a high percentage of small pieces, that's another matter, but your bag has some nice lump there.

One of the (several) reasons I am not an RO fan is excessive small pieces. It's normal.

Your set-up is fine. What's your target cooktemp?

I've got that thermometer. Turn the sound off. It's really irritating! It's also a PIA to sync up. But I don't measure grate temps,just at the dome. Let us know how it turns out.

Wow I thought those were some small pieces lol. I want chicken to be at 180 and smoker temp 275 to 300 for 2.5 hours or so. Am gonna check on it every half hour or so. Just to be sure. Inside thigh is best place to stick probe so, I will put it there and see what happens. Thanks for input

Oh yea forgot I used those weber lighter cubes. (white ones) Um, cant remember the name. Pretty impressed in the wind it lit on second try!

Why can't you put the food probe in at the beginning and monitor the temp during the cook? JMO, go for a higher smoker temp for a better chance of getting skin that is edible.

Was just thinking about that. I may just try it. It's 60 degrees and windy. Temp on smoker was up to around 220. I added another chimney full of charcoal. Waiting on it now. 10 mins after smoke internal temp is 289 smoker temp is about 10 lower

Old smoker new smoker and make shift wind guard
icon_redface.gif

IMG_0032.jpg

Smoker temp few mins after I added sec chimney. Gonna put probe in top now.
IMG_0033.jpg

dang, did you even use the old smoker? when i had the CG pro the paint on the side fire box started coming off after the 1st smoke.

Last pic for awhile. I'm sure you guys are getting tired of them. Just wanted some input. thanks!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

IMG_0035.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
dang, did you even use the old smoker? when i had the CG pro the paint on the side fire box started coming off after the 1st smoke. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have a CG pro that I bought last year and the paint came off the firebox pretty quickly. This is pretty common for them. So once every 6 weeks or so i'd give it good scrub with a wire brush and apply some hi-temp spray paint. That would last a few smokes then start coming off too.

I don't know about you, but my CG pro was a PIA to smoke on. Maintaining temps were tough because of how many leaks that thing has. A gust a wind comes through and forget about it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gregg M.:
I don't know about you, but my CG pro was a PIA to smoke on. Maintaining temps were tough because of how many leaks that thing has. A gust a wind comes through and forget about it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

indeed. i sold mine after my 3rd WSM smoke. wish i had kept it for big cookouts though. you can fit a ton of chicken thighs on that thing

gunar, read the instructions on the remote thermometer. you can set it for any temp ya want instead of the preprogramed temps. and it goes up higher than 300. set the little remote sender on first and then the main unit. i run two of them together with no interferance. i have another remote that i use and i've not had any issues. i have two of them and they work great far as i'm concerned. i have a cg that i use as my main rotisserie machine. works perfectly for that.

Dinner is served! Grilled some corn and had some vegetables. It was ok flavor wise. Not as smokey as I thought it would be. Very mild.

IMG_0036.jpg

I have that same Oregon Scientific thermometer and haven't been able to make it work no matter what I've tried. How did you get yours to work? I don't even have the instructions anymore.

Back