OOOPS ! I did it again, or, I paid TOO MUCH for a Master Touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corey S

TVWBB Fan
Hey All !
Checking my local craigslist today, someone posted a nice Master Touch this morning, it looked real nice in the photos, it was posted about 9:30 am, I did not check C/L until about 4:30 pm, and it was on my patio by 5:30 !..
The seller was the original owner, but he stated he had only used it two times, and it really looks like it! he kept it clean, and covered in his garage.
He still had the original Weber assembly manual, and the Weber cook book / owners guide. He also included an old hard cover copy of "Barbacuing the WEBER covered way" cook book, and lastly (get this) a Lodge Grill N Sear - Cast Iron cooking grate. He purchased the C/I grate as an accessorie, but never used it ! It is not NIB, the box is gone, but it obviously has never used, I dont think it has ever even been seasoned.
IMG_1248.jpg

This thing is as clean as a pin, I cannot find a dent, or scratch any where in the porcelan, the entire ash sweeper assembly, and ash catcher, appear as new, both the charcoal grate and the original plated steel hinged cook grate, look like the might have been used twice! same thing with the charcoal baskets. It also came with a really thin el cheapo aftermarket cover (but that is what has kept it looking so nice over the last 19 years)
here is the photo bucket album link with the rest of the photos of this find
http://s993.photobucket.com/al...ouch%2005%2020%2011/

He was asking $100.00, and he believed it to be a good price for what it was, and he was firm on that, so I coughed up a Benji, and away I went with my new Master Touch! Sounds like a lot, but I look at it like this: I wanted a Cast Iron grate any way, and they are like $89.00 plus shipping (I think), so really I bought an unused Lodge Cast Iron Grate for $100.00, and got a like new 92 Master Touch thrown in for free, Wooo Hooo!..
Oh, and the seller was only .65 miles away as the crow flies, I literally drove less than 2 miles round trip to go get it, I could have walked, but I would have looked really stupid taking my Weber out for a walk!.

I can only find three things wrong with this Master Touch:
(1) It is missing the front leg cap,
(2) The seller drilled a hole in the front leg socket to install a small screw to keep the front leg from falling out,
(3) And last, but not least, It is not RED !, dang it, I wanted a red one, but this one really is a Black Beauty.

Corey

Thanks AJ,
Yes the cast iron grate definately made the deal! I just went out to admire this thing again, and it is so nice, I am almost ashamed to think about actually using it. Except for where the finish has been rubbed off of the high spots and edges on the wood handles, and the missing leg cap, this thing really appears as a nearly perfect, new 92 M/T...
I am debating if I will actually use it, or just make it a showpiece ?
I don't know what to do !

Corey

What a score! I am very jealous of the grill N Sear. I would use it for sure, but take good care of it so it will last decades more.

Thanks Guys.

I definately intend to use the Grill N Sear C/I grate, I am thinking Rib Eyes for dinner tomorrow! (providing I get the time tomorrow to season the C/I grate first)
I set the lodge C/I grate in my 91 performer, with its original wire Char-Baskets, they are just tall enough that the grate litreally sits right on top of the char baskets as well as the grate support tabs. So with full baskets, and a pre-heated C/I grate, I should get a really good sear! I can't wait!

To further justify (in my mind any way) this purchase: I was already planning to buy a new SS hinged Weber cooking grate for my recent 91 Performer aquisition. Now I don't need to spend that $30.00 that bad, with an extra grate now!... (hey, I just saved myself $30.00, so now it only feels like I spent $70.00 on the Master Touch, and got a free Lodge C/I cooking grate to boot. Now that is rationalization at its finest!)

I am still torn as to whether or not to actually use the Master Touch, with minimal cleaning, a new leg cap, and some finish retoration on these wood handles, this thing can look absolutely Mint, out of the box!...

Decisions, Decisions ?...

That is one really beautiful grill Corey. I have never ever even seen a MT on the Bay Area craigs. I don't think they ever sold them in Northern Ca.
icon_rolleyes.gif
I would love to have an MT someday. And that Lodge Grill n Sear makes me wanna cry.
icon_frown.gif
Why won't Lodge just start making them again? Why?
icon_frown.gif

Shaun,
I am really tickled to get that C/I grate.
It would indeed be nice if Lodge would make it again, it appears to be very well made, and quite heavy. Even though the seller never used this one, and he did not keep the box, he did keep the circular paper insert, with all the usage and seasoning instructions!, I got that too! I cannot wait to try it out on some nice rib eyes!

The seller was quite an interesting character himself. He is a lonely 70 year old man, and has lived as a bachelor for longer than he had owned the M/T, he said that is why he had only used it a couple of times, it was just too much grilling Real Estate for feeding just himself!... (Me, I would think, that is just more BBQ for ME !)
Anyway, this old guy turns out to be retired law enforcement, and a U.S. Secret Service Agent, and was formerly assigned to security detail, for President Ronald Reagan, He had B&W photos on his wall of him with the Gipper himself, (that was way cool) as well as all kinds of Secret Service certificates, awards, etc... He really is a very interesting old guy, carrying around a lot of cool history with him!

He lives less than a mile away from me, so I think I will keep his phone #, I may just have to invite him over for a BBQ sometime this summer! Got to show some respect for Old Guys like this.

Corey

Awesome deal Corey! You have scored something that others drool over, and inviting the former owner over sounds like a great idea.

Hey Corey...is THIS what you wanted??? Sorry, but I had to post it! On the other hand, I want a CI grate like the one you got! I dont have one yet!
gloatingwebers005.jpg

By the way...you got a GREAT deal on all of that!

I think we need an all out campaign to get Lodge to make us some of those Grill n Sears. I have already spoken with them on the subject. I think if everyone fromthis site pulls together we can get them to make at least a hundered.

SWEET DEAL COREY!!

I just went to the Lodge website and fired off an email imploring them to make this grate again. I bet if quite a large number of us did so, they would consideer it, especially in these economic times!

Shaun said, <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I think we need an all out campaign to get Lodge to make us some of those Grill n Sears. I have already spoken with them on the subject. I think if everyone fromthis site pulls together we can get them to make at least a hundered. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I sent Lodge an email, they never responed.

Jeff, I knew I could count on you! yes, I definately would have preffered a red one, but I will take what I can get. Nice Red NIB you got there, part of your meager little collection?.. LOL...

As far as getting Lodge to kick out a run of these C/I grates.
While I agree they are very nice, I do see one downfall to their design. And this could be a factor in why they quit making it.
(but this is pure speculation on my part here)
Being that it is two piece, each half of it has to rest on three out of the four existing grate support tabs, therefore, where the two halves of the grate come together, those ends each have to share, half of two support tabs. I can see that if you do not follow their directions thoroughly, and pay real close attention to this little detail, as you place the grates in place, it would be very easy to drop one half of the grate, followed by the other right into your coals, potentially hurting yourself, and or you kettles interior finish.

While I can't see any of us being that careless with a crucial, and prized piece of our bbq paraphenalia, it is a somewhat precarious mounting arrangement, and there are a LOT of DUMB A**** out there, and one of them will drop this thing, (and or, already did ?)(more speculation) and then, as so often happens in todays litigious society, some careless Dumb A** will sue the manufacturer for their own stupidity !....
All it takes now a days is one DUMB A** to ruin a good thing for everybody...

Again, this is pure speculation on my part.

Ty, sorry I did not notice your post earlier.

I don't know if the Lodge Grill & Sear has any functional advantage, over the one you have linked too. That one appears to be the one that is currently available from Craycort.
The Grill & Sear by Lodge, is two pieces instead of five, I don't think there is anything terribly advantagious about that!.
I have not had my hands on the C/I grill from Craycort to compare, However my impression is that it may not be quite as heavily constructed as the old Two piece unit from Lodge? That probably has little effect on its ability to cook as one would expect from any Cast Iron grill!
The C/I grate you provided the link to, does have one Major Advantage over the Lodge Grill & Sear, and that advantage is: It Is Available !... Lodge has not made theirs in years ?.. and you would be lucky to find one, but they are out there.
I was lucky to get mine as it came with a Kettle I purchased from a Craigslist add.
And I know that one other member found one at an estate sale back in february (Do a serach on this forum for "Estate Sale Find") Read the comments, form your own opinion.
Had I not found this one, I would eventually have purchased the C/I grate from Craycort. Regardless of any advantages / disadvantages. It is available ! Many members here have purcahsed it, and are very pleased with it.
I will say this, I have had a Weber Kettle for well over 20 years, I have only had a Cast Iron grate for 5 days, I have already used it 3 times, and I am in Love!...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Corey S:
Shaun,
I am really tickled to get that C/I grate.
It would indeed be nice if Lodge would make it again, it appears to be very well made, and quite heavy. Even though the seller never used this one, and he did not keep the box, he did keep the circular paper insert, with all the usage and seasoning instructions!, I got that too! I cannot wait to try it out on some nice rib eyes!

The seller was quite an interesting character himself. He is a lonely 70 year old man, and has lived as a bachelor for longer than he had owned the M/T, he said that is why he had only used it a couple of times, it was just too much grilling Real Estate for feeding just himself!... (Me, I would think, that is just more BBQ for ME !)
Anyway, this old guy turns out to be retired law enforcement, and a U.S. Secret Service Agent, and was formerly assigned to security detail, for President Ronald Reagan, He had B&W photos on his wall of him with the Gipper himself, (that was way cool) as well as all kinds of Secret Service certificates, awards, etc... He really is a very interesting old guy, carrying around a lot of cool history with him!

He lives less than a mile away from me, so I think I will keep his phone #, I may just have to invite him over for a BBQ sometime this summer! Got to show some respect for Old Guys like this.

Corey </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I really appreciated Ronald reagan as a President in many ways. Please treat this guy well and share a photo. He sounds like a potentially great friend. Two great finds! Cheers Corey!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back