OOOH HAM!

Josh Z.

TVWBB Pro
Well the new brining/curing bucket is getting put to use!!! I got one of the most beautiful peices of meat I think I've ever seen sitting in the wet cure. At 1/2 day per pound in 9 days I can take this 18lb Fresh Ham out and proclaim it an 18 pound CURED ham!

Then to the smoke. How long will it take to get a 18lber up to 155 degrees cooking at 200-220ish degrees? I'm thinking I'll go with a hickory/apple mix of wood, but suggestions are welcome. Any suggestions on type and ammount of wood to use?

I'm looking forward to this experience and after this I'm looking foward to making a fresh smoked ham.

Thanks,
Josh

I saw one account of around 7 hours for finishing up an aproximate 18 pound ham. Does planning on 7-10 hours sound about right for this cook?

*Not quite a shamless bump, but close*

Plan the higher number. My whole fresh hams take around 7 hours to hit that at temps of 300+.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Josh Z.:
I'm thinking I'll go with a hickory/apple mix of wood, but suggestions are welcome. Any suggestions on type and ammount of wood to use?

Thanks,
Josh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Josh, that's a nice combo of wood to use. I use that mix 50/50 for my Buckboard Back Bacon. For a 18 lb ham i think you could go pretty heavy with the wood. I myself would use about 8 tennis ball sized pieces mixed into the charcoal. Some about 1/2 way down and the rest ontop. HTH and good luck with the cook, and don't forget the pics.
icon_smile.gif

Many thanks gentleman. I'll try to remember to take some pics
icon_cool.gif

I'll be doing my 1/3 different skin experiment so I will try to document the exciting process
icon_smile.gif

Josh

Well the results are in.. sorry no pictorial, but well the results are in
icon_rolleyes.gif

I did the test of low smoked ham with skin. 1/3 was skinless, 1/3 was crosshatched, 1/3 was straightup skin on.

1/3 Skin-On the skin was inedible... unless of course you like leather, but the meat was very juicy, but lacked a smoke taste

1/3 crosshatched the skin was inedible.. see above

1/3 Skinless the skin well it wasn't there
icon_wink.gif
. The outer meat was a bit drier, but had plenty of smoke taste and was very good.

I will be going skinless next time I do a low smoke for a freshly cured ham.

Now the funny part....... see this post for the results of most of the skin.... Saved by the skin of my HAM!

Enjoy,
Josh

another thought.. In the future I might leave some skin on becuase some guests did enjoy the areas that were very good sweet tasting ham, but lacked the smoke.

Back