Ooni Karu 12

This dough has worked pretty well for me. Sauce too. I now make sauce with whole San Marzano tomatoes. I break them up and let them drain in a strainer for about an hour, mixing occasionally. After the hour, I give them a good 'mashing' with a fork. To the drained tomato, I add (measures are approximate) a good sized clove of garlic (smashed and minced), TBS of dried oregano, 1/2 teaspoon of red wine vinegar (you could also use lemon juice), pinch of red pepper flakes and a little salt and pepper.

Last edited:
I got this one except it's 3/16" not the 3/8" and I paid $35.

THERMICHEF by Conductive Cooking - Round Pizza Steel Plate for Oven Cooking and Baking (3/8" Thick Deluxe Version, 14" Round) - Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085S67C5L/?tag=tvwb-20

My biggest challenge is/will be dough. I've been using the pre-made thin crust ones that come rolled in parchment paper. They're OK but not very tasty. Next step is Trader Joe's pizza dough. With the steel placed over the two right side burners with the sear burner in the middle...the steel gets hot pretty fast. The journey begins!
I see they make different ones. But only one listed on Amazon. Wonder if Amazon is just trying to sell them out. Wondering if I can simply go to a steel company (we have one here) and ask if I can get a nice slab of cold rolled carbon steel?

I see they make different ones. But only one listed on Amazon. Wonder if Amazon is just trying to sell them out. Wondering if I can simply go to a steel company (we have one here) and ask if I can get a nice slab of cold rolled carbon steel?
I bought my steel from a local fabricator. Easily done and inexpensive too versus a retail product.

I thought about that. But $35 was reasonable to me and it is nicely finished with no sharp or jagged edges. I was thinking 16" not 14" but bigger and/or thicker=heavier. I was originally thinking I could store it in the Genesis II cabinet...but it will rust. But I can store it vertically in a kitchen cabinet next to my folding peel. Also, thing needs to be seasoned like CI.

Back