One Touch Platinum vs Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to purchase the Performer but ended up finding an older one on CL for $35! It needs a little TLC and the gas tank is mission but I'm okay with that since I'll use my chimney. These things are built to last so a $35 investment is with it. I would go Performer and either find one on CL or wait a little bit longer and get what you really want!

Thanks everyone for your replies!! Sounds like everyone is in favor of the Performer over the Platinum. Although.. the Platinum just came out last year, so maybe there just aren't enough Platinum owners to show the love.
icon_smile.gif

It looks to me like the big selling point that everyone keeps mentioning is the table. That and of course the gas assist.

The table by itself doesn't really excite me because on my cook area I have a 6 foot table that I use.

The gas assist seems like a huge benefit, but my charcoal chimney works great so I don't know if it's worth the extra $100. Besides.. if I got the gas assist then I wouldn't have an excuse to get One of these.
icon_smile.gif

The thing that is the real hesitation point for me is the hinge on the left. If it lifted straight up to the back, then I probably wouldn't even question the purchase. but that lid on the left really annoys me.

As of right now, I'm leaning Platinum.

Too funny Michael. Good choice. BTW you just take the chimney and set it over the flame of the starter on the Performer. Only takes a few minutes to get started then I turn off the gas and let the chimney do the rest. Only thing missing is the newspaper residue.

Heck, get the torch anyway just to play with
icon_smile.gif

Dude.. I hate that residue. I have a couple cinder blocks to the side that I put my charcoal chimney on so I don't have stuff in my grill.

Which brings me to ANOTHER point... Why spend the $100 on the assist if I still have to use the chimney? I thought the idea was to simplify. I already have a chimney. If I'm still going to use it for the Performer.. then I don't really see the benefit. I understand that you don't NEED to use the chimney on the performer. I'm just saying.. if all we're debating on is what we use to start the chimney, then I can buy starters. Kind of what this guy uses . Cause I'm still going to need to buy propane tanks right? So why spend the extra $100?

I'm just being argumentative now.
icon_smile.gif
But these are the thoughts going through my head.

I think I'm going with the Platinum and either just stick with my newpaper, chimney and cinder blocks or find a starter item to use with the baskets.

Or... something like this would be cool
capecodfirestarter.jpg

AND... it looks cool.

Thanks for participating everyone. I do appreciate it, and it's fun.
icon_smile.gif

You don't need the chimney. It just makes things go quicker. As do the the charcoal bins...which is what I typically use.

But that's not important now. The important thing is that you buy the sucker and post some pictures!
icon_wink.gif

Yeah, like Justin said. I just like using the chimney instead of the baskets for lighting coals. But you can use the baskets, or just but a pile of coals there and move them around after they are lit. The chimney has a handle on it, the baskets don't, plus the one I have has more capacity than the baskets
icon_wink.gif

Originally posted by Michael L.:

I know they'll both cook the same... I'm just curious. What are you thoughts?

The one thing that might change is how you setup for an indirect cook. With the new OTP vent now located at top dead center. It seems like you would have to keep your meal in the center of the grill, instead of off to one side like with the original offset vent.
Just a thought.

Tim

Ha...

So.. I made the final decision. I decided that I wanted to actually put my hands on a Platinum before making the call. So I went to my local Ace hardware to see if they had one on the floor. They didn't. But what they DID have was last years model Performer in black on sale for $279.00!!!

Oddly.. I still didn't buy it.
icon_smile.gif

As illogical as it sounds, I figured... if I was going to spend close to $300 then I was going to get what I wanted, and I didn't want the thermometer in the handle. I really like the sleek design of the current model year. Is a different set of tool hooks, and the thermometer moved to a different spot on the hood worth $50.00? I don't know... but I wanted to by happy, so I passed.

Which put me right back to the drawing board regarding my Platinum vs Performer decision. But now I'd experienced a level of ownership with the whole On Sale Performer experience. I told my wife that I was concerned with temp control and air leakage for low and slow stuff because of the gas tube insert. (I'd read about increased air leaks.) And then my wife said it...

"Well honey.. just get this one, and then you can get that Smokey Mountain thing you were talking about a little down the road".

Game Over.

Final Analysis. I like the Platinum. I think it looks hot. And I think it's a cool Q. But if I'm going to have two then might as well have the "Griller" and the "Smoker" (i.e.. Performer and WSM)

So I clicked on the TVWBB Amazon link, and pulled the trigger on a New Model, Dark Blue, Performer. Just like this one.

images

5-7 days away from happiness.

Nice!! Good choice IMHO, Performer and WSM will handle pretty much anything you would need to do. Especially if you pick and accessory or two along the way. And when you get the WSM you can use the table and the igniter on the Performer to make cooks more convenient.

BTW in my experience the amount of air that leaks due to the tube you mention is negligible. I can pretty much shot off the fire on mine by closing the vents. I'll typically find unburned charcoal when I do that.

Like the dark blue.

Likewise, my Performer is now around 3 years old and have never had any problem with air leaks around the gas tube inside the kettle. I can make the kettle sit on 220F for hours and hours without a problem and the fire goes out ok and leaves me some good left over charcoal to use for the next time so I would be too concerned about air leaks around the gas tube.

Looking forward to hearing how you'll be grilling soon...you've got your spring coming up now so I reckon that grill is in for some pretty hearty workouts over the warmer Months....mine gets used all 12 months..but i don't get snowed in down here.

Cheers

Davo

I know this conversation has aged but as a Platinum owner I wanted to add a little love.

The feature I like about the two work surfaces on the platinum is that it allows me to set up well established "clean zones" and "dirty zones". It's a nice way of avoiding cross contamination if you are doing multiple food items and rotating them off the grill.

I think both grills are great but I enjoy having tables on both sides of my Platinum for separation issues.

Michael, I have a dove grey performer that I love,but if I had to do it again,I think the perfect choice would be the older OTP,the one with a single side table. If buying new,it's a no brainer,go with the performer.

Originally posted by JSMcdowell:
Like others, the left slide lid annoyed me at first on the Performer. Now I do not even notice it. I love my performer and if I could only have 1 grill, it would be it.

I was looking at the Platinum in Ace the other day, and I think I like my 1 larger table much more than 2 smaller ones.
cant you turn the grill around and the lid holder would be on the right side?

It was more of it being in the way than to the left. You could spin it around but your tool holder and gas assist would be on the wrong side

After having had the Performer for a couple weeks now, and having a dozen or more cooks under my belt, I'll give a little feedback.

1.) Before buying I had read that the Performer had "air leaks" from around the tube that supplies the gas flame. I will tell you that I have not experienced this at all. I can control temps via the vents pretty good. Plus, I'm able to snuff a very hot fire very quickly. I've reused the same chimney of lump 3 times now. So I think the whole "air leaks" thing is either an isolated situation, or it's just plain bogus.

2.) The "Lid Annoyance" was something that bothered me at first. But only for a short while. I'm pretty much over it now. It is nice to be able to just grab the lid and slide it off to the side.

3.) I love, love, LOVE, the gas assist. If you read through my post you'll see me shooting it down earlier. It's such a simple thing. You wouldn't think it would be anything to get excited about, but it really is. I love using it. Especially combined with the Charcoal Chimney. Works fantastically. I love it.

4.) I also love the storage tub that is attached. It holds my charcoal, my gloves, and my bags of wood chunks.

5.) The table is luxurious. It's large, and conveniently located right next to the grill, and it's large enough to put almost anything on it without having to worry about bumping it off.

I love my performer

3.) I love, love, LOVE, the gas assist. If you read through my post you'll see me shooting it down earlier. It's such a simple thing. You wouldn't think it would be anything to get excited about, but it really is. I love using it. Especially combined with the Charcoal Chimney. Works fantastically. I love it

So, I just have to say: I TOLD YOU SO! Not just you, I tell everyone to buy a Performer. It is a significantly different grilling experience. Until one has used it repeatedly, one just does not understand.

Oh, and the air leaks are not around the gas tube, but rather through it. And, you're right, it is a completely neglible effect.

Grill on.

Hey Michael good to see that you're feeling good about the decision. Mine has been solid since I bought it. I'll have to clean out the gas tube this season. Started to get a bad air mix last year so the flame isn't burning as clean as it should. But it still lit the chimney fine. Other than that the lighter is really a nice feature.

I've pretty much always used it to light coals in a chimney rather than the baskets. The baskets work OK, but I usually dump and distribute lit from a chimney. I have a coal rake I use to pile things up, etc rather than use the baskets. But the baskets work fine.

That storage tub. Very handy to throw stuff in. I pretty much use it for wood chips and tools now more than keeping the bag of charcoal in there, except smaller bags which I typically don't use. It's easier for me to have the 20lb bag of lump readily available to pick up and dump, etc. Be aware that it is plastic and can melt. If you are stacking the fire on the right side of the kettle and have a hot one going for a good while you can deform the tub. If you leave tilted out when you have the fire on that side it won't happen.

I used a marker and made hash marks along the vent control slide/slot to show when vents are 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, closed, open - so it's easier to tell by moving the control handle what the position of the vents are without guessing or looking inside.

I think I have mine going on 5 years at this point maybe longer. Add a rotisserie and some cast iron grates and you'll have even more fun
icon_biggrin.gif

Only gripe I have is I wish Weber would come up with a way to be able to easily raise/lower the coal grate or food grate. I got spoiled with the feature/capability with the Char Griller I had previous. A fairly minor nit - but I really missed that when I moved to a kettle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back