One Touch ash sweeper differences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Timothy Hoffman

TVWBB All-Star
Just thought I would let everyone know there are differences in the One Touch Cleaner blades. Part #307409 that is found on Weber's web site and in your local hardware store is aluminized steel. It will help prevent rust, but it will eventually still rust. Part #90720 is essentially the same thing but made of stainless steel. However you can only get these by calling Weber directly. Best part is the ones on the website are around $15.00 while the SS ones are only $8.00

Mine have been subject to 2 years of heavy cooking and are still almost like new with just some discoloration. I'll get some pictures up later.

Note: These part numbers only apply to 22 1/2" grills.

Nice! Thanks for the tip! do you know when they switched over? I have a '98 Performer and it has the new style ash sweeper.

The early performers or Touch N Go's had the plain steel blades and hardware. Not sure what year they started using the SS.
But you will only find them on the more expensive models, Performers, Platinums and Golds. They definitely are worth the money..
The link is for reference only. I don't know anything about the website.
Appliance Factory parts

1055122-1.jpg

Thanks for the update Kendall. I just ordered 2 sets of sweeps for my stock just last year. I am sure they still have them just under a different number. It also helps to call more than once. I have done this and the second or third rep finds it and in stock. Go figure.

Edit: I just went through all my 2010 schematics and the set is listed as part # 90993 even though the packet I have is #90720.

BTW the 98 Performer I had used the aluminized steel blades.

I have never seen a sweeper assembly like the one above with the slots in the blades and a pressed clip in lieue of a hex nut.

Would that work for replacing a 1999 Mastertouch assembly?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerd H:
I have never seen a sweeper assembly like the one above with the slots in the blades and a pressed clip in lieue of a hex nut.

Would that work for replacing a 1999 Mastertouch assembly? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

if your mastertouch has the old style bracket holding the ash catcher ring, probably not.

Gerd, as Troy already pointed out, the older style one touch ash catcher needs the wing nut and washer to hold the bar that attaches to it.

Here is a photo of a new set of ash sweepers. This is one of the packs I got last year from Weber. I just opened it this morning.

The second photo is a close up showing the brushed stainless. This looks nothing like alumanized steel that looks galvanized.

120515onetoucha.jpg

120515onetouchb.jpg

Thanks guys. My 'new' 99 mastertouch is the first "gold" style weber I have had so I was unfamiliar with the design changes.

Mine definitely has a support bar held in place by that sweeper nut. If I understand correctly this is the old model and at some point the design was changed so that the ash catcher ring sits in notches in the leg supports.

Too bad. That stainless would last forever here.

gerd, you COULD update with the new style ash catcher ring.

you would need to use a dremel to make a few cuts in the leg sockets.

or you could use hose clamps.

however it seems easier to just not use the stainless blades.

I have the one with the slots on my 2010 performer. I really don't like system as much as the one with the big hex nut and the thumbscrew. The handle on my ash sweeper with the slots really has no way to solidly attach so it just spins around and it annoys me. It is supposed to have some kind of slot and key but they have no way of solidly attaching to one another. I'm going for the ones in the hardware store. When they wear out I'll get new and toss the old ones. Easy and cheap,

Brian

Lawrence, the handle turns into the "H" bracket that holds the blades. There is a small notch in it and the handle has a small raised part, like akey. When you turn it into the slot, it tightens aginst the H washer. Simple, right?
It works good, but can be difficult to remove one that has been on for a while.
But they last forever and are worth it.
IMHO..

YOu push it in then your supposed to rotate it 180 degrees, then a tab kind of sticks up into the top. Very strange...

Brian

I came across a OTG with a SS ash sweeper. I removed the ring and pan in order to put it on another kettle. I'm having trouble removing the SS handle and blades. Is there some kind of trick?

The OTG cleaning system was the only thing salvageable IMO since the rest of the kettle was cracked and dinged to death.

Yes, it can be tricky. You need to be able to turn the handkle so that the notch can line up witht he slot. Clean any loose gunk and then take a small flat head screw driver and wedge it slightly between the end of ht ahndle and the washer. All while slightly twisting it at the same time. SHould loosen up and turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back