One cook or two?

Steven Hubbard

TVWBB Member
I have a dinner to cook next Wednesday and again the following week for Christmas Eve potluck.

My idea was to fill the WSM late Tuesday with four butts (8lbs each). Then I serve what's needed Wednesday and save the rest for Christmas Eve.

Should I save the butts whole or pulled? Should I freeze them for the interim week or store them in the fridge?
Or should I just leave two of them uncooked and do a second cook on Christmas Eve?

Thanks.

Steven,

You could easily do all 4 at once. If you have a vacuum seal system, pull the meat and seal it and freeze it. The night of the meal, place the bags in boiling water to reheat. There will be virtually no difference from fresh pulled pork. If you don't have a vacuum seal system, I would just put the pulled pork in zip locks and freeze. I don't know if zip locks are safe for boiling water. The meat can be panned with some liquid (apple juice, beef broth, bbq sauce or combo there of), covered with foil and reheated to about 130.

Paul

Thanks Paul. Maybe I'll use this as my opportunity to get a seal system.

I don't cook as often as I'd like, so I should start filling the cooker when I have the time!

Another question . . .

doing 4 butts in a single cook, does the top rack or the bottom rack cook faster? I'd rather not "rotate" them halfway through, but I'll do it if necessary.

Back