One big grill vs. two small

I like the term "Instigator" better than enabler. It is kind of like when you were 16 and your buddies smoked dope and were always trying to get you to take a "hit".
It seems strange that you don't see a lot of performers and kettles out your way. Do they have kind of whacko laws about lighter fluid or burning charcoal?

Just throwing this on the wall to see if it sticks, but how about one of the Q-series grills to round things out? The 2 smaller ones would give you portability, the Q3xx is just about bulletproof.

I like the term "Instigator" better than enabler. It is kind of like when you were 16 and your buddies smoked dope and were always trying to get you to take a "hit".
It seems strange that you don't see a lot of performers and kettles out your way. Do they have kind of whacko laws about lighter fluid or burning charcoal?
No weird laws at all.

Checking Craigslist/NorthJersey and searching for Weber would show you the prevalence of gas grills around here.

Last edited:
Just throwing this on the wall to see if it sticks, but how about one of the Q-series grills to round things out? The 2 smaller ones would give you portability, the Q3xx is just about bulletproof.
I have a little sportsman hibachi in 100% cast iron for portability. Literally bulletproof, although I don't typically let people shoot at my grills.

I believe it’s a matter of perspective, what one considers a large grill, another may not. I think my Summit 6 burner is a large grill, but I don’t consider my Broil King 4 burner, or Genesis E-310 a small grill.

I wanted a larger gas grill, just never justified it. I had the Silver B and used a Kettle for overflow cooks.

Now that I have a second gasser, the front control E330, I no longer want a larger grill.

I think two are better than one.

I wanted a larger gas grill, just never justified it. I had the Silver B and used a Kettle for overflow cooks.

Now that I have a second gasser, the front control E330, I no longer want a larger grill.

I think two are better than one.
Makes me want a N-S grill! Zoning makes a lot more sense to me with NS, and with a sear burner add-on...but do I need one? Only like I need another hole in the head. Want vs need...who do you think wins?

Makes me want a N-S grill! Zoning makes a lot more sense to me with NS, and with a sear burner add-on...but do I need one? Only like I need another hole in the head. Want vs need...who do you think wins?
You mean a NS grill and another EW grill. When I put the Blue one up for sale you'll be taking the Mrs. on a road trip north :D

N/S grills are great and maybe they are better for "zone" cooking. But they are definitely inferior if you want to run a rotisserie on your grill.

Owning both I don't get where everyone thinks a NS is better for "zoning" DUH?! Never found ANY difference. The ONLY thing that made my Summit SLIGHTLY "easier?" was the addition of the 4th burner. But given that it was the same actual cook area size as my Genesis, I honestly would default to the Genesis MORE than the Summit for "zoned" cooks. Now that being said when I REALLY want to do it I go to my Wolf. But ONLY because of it's enormity is it any easier or "better" than the Genesis. On the newer Genesis all you have in a "zone" is a tiny area from front to back. On a "real" Genesis you have the entire width of the grill and the same distance between burners!

Having owned both configurations, I prefer the new N/S. You may have the same square inches of indirect cooking area, but it is a more convenient layout. I never used my rotisserie much, so not an important difference to me. I like the sear station and can see why it is standard on the new Genesis line. I grilled happily for 20 years on my E/W Weber, but can not say I miss it or want to go back. My next door neighbor has a Performer and a Spirit. Make a nice 2-grill system for him.

Last edited:
Owning both I don't get where everyone thinks a NS is better for "zoning" DUH?! Never found ANY difference. The ONLY thing that made my Summit SLIGHTLY "easier?" was the addition of the 4th burner. But given that it was the same actual cook area size as my Genesis, I honestly would default to the Genesis MORE than the Summit for "zoned" cooks. Now that being said when I REALLY want to do it I go to my Wolf. But ONLY because of it's enormity is it any easier or "better" than the Genesis. On the newer Genesis all you have in a "zone" is a tiny area from front to back. On a "real" Genesis you have the entire width of the grill and the same distance between burners!
I think, at least in my case, the "zoning' mentality comes from 30+ years of indirect cooking over charcoal. It may not translate exactly when using a gasser, but that's still the way I see it.

My solution is to have at least one of each... EW, NS, and charcoal. I've run out of space, unfortunately, so something will have to go if I convince myself I "need" (read: want) a NS.

Last edited:
I've noticed with age that every single font in the world is slowly being shrunk. I'm not sure if anybody else has noticed this. Sometimes they seem to be making them a little fuzzy too. Weird.
Funny issue.
Reading a magazine from the throne.
Hmm. What is that a picture of?
Hmmm. Let me expand it with my two fingers. Hmmm.
Why isn't this working? Hmmm.

Magazine says: "you idiot'

I am with JSaus on the NS being better for two zone cooks. Granted, my S330 NS has a larger surface area than the older Genesis, but you can get farther from the heat source if needed and in the winter if I need more than one burner on to get to temp I can add the sear burner and still be far enough away. Not an option on EW. That said, I would not give up my Silver C for rotisserie cooks and next spring I should be finished my refurb of a 3000 for even bigger turkeys. But my Q3200 is my most used daily driver. Did I say you need more than one Grill!

I went from Q1200 in apartment to Genesis 310 to Summit 450 to Genesis 2 435. As mentioned above, the bigger grill takes more time and fuel to heat, but I have natural gas on my deck. If I was using propane, I would have stuck with the 310. I like the larger zones on 435 and having space to leave the griddle inside most of the time. The electric smoker beside it often serves as a warming oven, so I guess I'm sort of in the two grill camp.

Back