On gray kettles

Status
Not open for further replies.
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hank B:
Hi Gerd,
The wheels look like that but the handles are flat, not tubular. I'll try to get pictures later today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I fired it up this weekend to fire roast some red peppers and bake some spuds to go with the ribs on the WSM so I got some snaps.

DSC_5321-PP.JPG

My recollection is that this was black when we got it. How can I say this... The condition of the grill is a testament to the durability of those old grills when Weber made them. That's all original except that the wood handle on the lid is missing. I'm pretty sure that the bowl handles never had wood on them because there is no screw hole in the present handle.

It seems to have faded to gray fairly evenly so that argues against this being due to sun but it is definitely an aging phenomena.

One question I have is how to remove the rust stains. The pitting that causes it seems to be superficial. I took some polishing compound to it but the stains seem to be embedded in the porcelain. They shined up but otherwise didn't budge. I'm reluctant to use chemical means for fear it will exacerbate the pitting. Maybe I'll just leave it as is. It has no effect onthe performance of the cooker.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hank B:
Hi Gerd,
The wheels look like that but the handles are flat, not tubular. I'll try to get pictures later today. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I fired it up this weekend to fire roast some red peppers and bake some spuds to go with the ribs on the WSM so I got some snaps.

DSC_5321-PP.JPG

My recollection is that this was black when we got it. How can I say this... The condition of the grill is a testament to the durability of those old grills when Weber made them. That's all original except that the wood handle on the lid is missing. I'm pretty sure that the bowl handles never had wood on them because there is no screw hole in the present handle.

It seems to have faded to gray fairly evenly so that argues against this being due to sun but it is definitely an aging phenomena.

One question I have is how to remove the rust stains. The pitting that causes it seems to be superficial. I took some polishing compound to it but the stains seem to be embedded in the porcelain. They shined up but otherwise didn't budge. I'm reluctant to use chemical means for fear it will exacerbate the pitting. Maybe I'll just leave it as is. It has no effect onthe performance of the cooker. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Judging by the pic alone that kettle is a '70s era one. Pre 1981 metal bowl handles, early-mid '70s style wheels and no leg thumbscrews. Is there a patent number on the vent or does it say "Patent Pending"?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.Hill:
Judging by the pic alone that kettle is a '70s era one. Pre 1981 metal bowl handles, early-mid '70s style wheels and no leg thumbscrews. Is there a patent number on the vent or does it say "Patent Pending"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> Patent 3538906.

It was a wedding present in '74.

You could try Goo Gone and some steel wool on that rust, it might get it off. I kinda like the look of it, that is one well used old soldier.

On another note I picked up a 1983 Weber and the guy had the original instructions and owners manual. Listed in 1983 there were only five colors, Black, Blue, red, Green and Chocolate, no sliver mentioned. So we know in 1972, and 1983 there no silver or Grays

scan0001wn.jpg

By zavod44 at 2012-05-03

Brian

I would not try to remove the rust. Rust is on the metal, not the porcelain.
If you remove it, you will have bare pitted metal. And then the rust will come back.
I also like the patina it has.. Get a new handle, clean it up and let it shine!
It an old soldier and I am proud that has lived to serve one for close to 40 years..
It doesn't die until you let it go..So don't

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
I would not try to remove the rust. Rust is on the metal, not the porcelain.
If you remove it, you will have bare pitted metal. And then the rust will come back.
I also like the patina it has.. Get a new handle, clean it up and let it shine!
It an old soldier and I am proud that has lived to serve one for close to 40 years..
It doesn't die until you let it go..So don't </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The rust has stained the porcelain. The next thing I'm looking at is how to slow/stop the rust so it continues to be serviceable. Maybe I should just oil it like I season my grates. And yes, I plan to get a new handle when I get together with Brian.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
Hank I got your handles don't sweat that,
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And I still got that charcoal GAG to trade. We need to get together. Work is substantially done on my shed so I can start planning other things.

DSC_5330-PP.JPG

Interesting.. Try a fine piece of steel wool and see if it will remive the rust..
Maybe hit it with a bit of WD40 first.
Some car polish to seal the pores will slow the rust down.
Found this link: Remove Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back