On gray kettles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerd H

TVWBB Super Fan
I was exchanging a couple emails with a BBQ buddy about a grey kettle that he found on CL, in response to my earlier plea about finding colored kettles.

We got to taling about the origin of this one, and whether it was simply an aged black one or a true graybeard.

Naturally, I have read the various different threads here, but I am still unclear as to if there is any consensus that, specifically, "GRAY kettles were in fact made in the 60s and 70s", or whether "those gray kettles are faded black ones from a distinct period and manufacturing process and effected by a specific 30 year manner of care".

So, specifically:
1)Clark, Brian M, and others, what have you concluded?
2) What color is the INSIDE of a leg hole on a colored weber, and could this be a clue location to look for when comparing the 'grey / black' phenomenom and trying to discern original color?

So, in conclusion, yes I have too much time on my hands today.

i'm pretty sure weber made them.

here's why.

1. i've seen black kettles from the metal handle era. and i've seen gray kettles from the wood handle era. It's unlikely (although not absolute) that SOME black kettles faded to gray while others did not.

2. while looking on the inside of the leg sockets of my gray kettle, there's no signs of black porcelain. I looked for the same reason you ask. If these kettles were fading due to sunlight, those 3 little spots should be darker. They're not; however it only disproves the fade by sunlight theory, it doesn't disprove natural oxidation fading.

There are still evidences that lean towards fading though.
For example, there's so many shades of gray.
I've seen black kettles that are just a touch of gray, an unlikely color choice by weber really.

We do know that a lot of colors vary. There are differences in my reds, and differences in blues that I've seen. However we don't know if those were variations in production, or variations in fading (if fading exists).

Did you say something about having too much time on your hands?

icon_smile.gif

Haha, I think we agree in general Troy, but:

One thing you did not mention is that some black kettles may fade while others will not because of a potentially brief change in materials or production process that lasted who knows how long. One year? Three? Less than a year?. That is why I disagree (potentially) with your #1 point:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> 1. i've seen black kettles from the metal handle era. and i've seen gray kettles from the wood handle era. It's unlikely (although not absolute) that SOME black kettles faded to gray while others did not.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

that's certainly a possibility.

if there 'recipe' varied, and that variation resulted in faded grills - than they had several iterations of that faded grill recipe.
(since we've seen gray kettles from multiple eras, and we've seen black kettles from multiple eras - unless of course the faded grill production spanned the end of one era into the start of a new)

There are definately no gray kettles listed in the 1972 catalog. I have a mid 60's black, that was very faded to gray until I sprayed it with pam, then it was very dark again. Something to think about is some peopelmight have covered or taken inside, and some were simply left out in the snulight. Personally I don't think gray grills were made not at least in the 70's and later. I think they have faded from heat or sunlight or oxidization or something. Just my opinion, I am open to debate

Brian

i have nothing to add lol.... except that this is a really cool and interesting thread. makes me want to get my hands on this grey one in my area more and more.

I have a gray 18. It was given to us in '74 as a wedding present. I think it was black when we got it, but I wouldn't bet more than lunch on that. I was trying to clean it up the other day and hit it with some polishing compound to see if I could remove some rust stains. I could not. And it did not seem to affect the gray color either. I also note that the gray is even from top to bottom so I do not think it is due to exposure to sun.

I have another question about this grill. The wood handle on the lid is still there (one screw hole) though it is badly weathered. The bowl has two metal handles that are flat straps but without holes. I thought it had wood handles on the bowl as well (though I could be wrong) but I cannot see how they would have been fastened. There are no holes in the handles on the bowl.

Hank, 1974 is right in the sweet spot for the time period that my wild guesses say they were making black kettles that ended up turning gray.

Does yours look like this (in terms of wheels and handles):
fdsfd45.jpg

Hi Gerd,
The wheels look like that but the handles are flat, not tubular. I'll try to get pictures later today.

Hank,
The older 18's did not have a wood or round handle on the bowl. It was just a flat metal square.
A bit odd, but Weber kust have thoght it didn't need to be like the others.
If its a true grey, it would be rare for sure.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AJ S.:
Hank,
The older 18's did not have a wood or round handle on the bowl. It was just a flat metal square.
A bit odd, but Weber kust have thoght it didn't need to be like the others.
If its a true grey, it would be rare for sure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yep! What he said.

I'm going with the oxidation theory. Most of the older "grey" kettles that I have seen have been pre 1981 kettles with the metal bowl handles. It could be years of oxidation and cooking. BUT, I have seen the same older blacks that have been covered when not in use that are still black. One of my neighbors has an old black kettle that he never covers
icon_rolleyes.gif
and it is in between being black and slowly turning grey. Plus the wood handle appears to be rotting away, it just sits on the side of his house.

Somehow I put this in the wrong thread:

I don't know.

My greys are both very evenly grey, which I doubt would be the result of sun fading.

The insides are still very much black.

I would lean toward a chemical breakdown or something more than fading, but then the insides would change too.

Maybe, like guys that love to BBQ, Weber kettles age and go gray, but are still new and young on the inside.

Yeah, that's it!

That gray Dave has, for sure looks to be Gray from the factory. The gray S Nagle has, looks like my old one from the 60's. I am starting to think some were made gray, and some were black, and for some reason maybe due to heat they seem to fade to a grayish color. Those are the ones that when they get grease or something on them them they tend to return to black, or something close to black.

I really like the gray one Dave has and I think I'll start looking for one.

Brian

O.K. boys and girls, just got off the phone with Weber, I had to order some parts for my new "grey". They said that they DID make a silver grill! Also stated that it does NOT have to say Bar B Kettle to be one, and that some were made that did not have that stamped on them. They also came with the triangle rack on bottom that is black.
Just some info that might help.

Ken

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian O'Neal:
That gray Dave has, for sure looks to be Gray from the factory. The gray S Nagle has, looks like my old one from the 60's. I am starting to think some were made gray, and some were black, and for some reason maybe due to heat they seem to fade to a grayish color. Those are the ones that when they get grease or something on them them they tend to return to black, or something close to black.

I really like the gray one Dave has and I think I'll start looking for one.

Brian </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Based on the last several posts, I agree it seems clear, there were grey kettles. I also think it is clear that MANY that we call grey are faded black ones. I also agree.... I need a gray kettle!

Nice Stu, That's the same color as mine...more of a silver. I have wood handles on mine. They are in pretty good shape, no cracks, but will need to sand and re-finish. I don't have 2 handles though. Or just put new ones on that Brian is sending.Thanks Brian

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back