Oldie but a goodie.

Old school thread revival.
I have still been thinking about this one. Going to order for weekend pickup 2 of these 4lb chuck eye roasts.
I hope to get what I need, is there anything unique to the look of the roast? Or would it just come nicely marbled or does it have certain fat chunks in the middle like a rib steak does?

I know me and the MRS will love it too....they took my order today for 2 --- 3 to 4 lb eye of chuck roasts....
She kept saying eye of round, I'm not exactly sure we were on the same page but I said they should look like really thick huge steaks and she said yes......Just going by all the PSB pics here that is how I described it.
Going to grab them tomorrow and hopefully cooking them up for Sunday dinner. If I do it I will post it, everyone knows what it looks like but I was thinking of making a horseradish cream sauce to go with it, and maybe some blue cheese for those that like it and a mild sliced cheese too. Maybe the wrong flavour?? I don't know because I have never had this sandwich before.

Provolone is good, Havarti also and pepper jack.
Chuck roasts names change by local (and store) so some folks have never heard or seen a "chuck eye " roast or steak.
Here's a good link for different cuts, names and substitutions.

Wish I read your last post before I went to go pick up my meat today.
Let’s just say there will be no PSB tomorrow.
I ordered from a young girl and she really seemed to know what I wanted.
I ended up with 2 eye of round roasts when I got home and looked.
$48 worth of roasts I didn’t want.
Made the call back and the manager re assured me that they are good.
They look super lean but he said if I cook it just like I cook my sirloin cap roasts I will love them.
You may have seen my sirloin cap or tip posts here before that are very rare.
So this meat is more $$ per pound so he better be right.
So tomorrow is sliced rare eye of round Sammie’s, I just need a top shelf recipe for a horseradish cream sauce now.
.???.
Lots of left overs, this is okay for my work week.
I am heading to my first choice in butchers next weekend. I will get what I need there.
The manager told me I should have ordered a blade roast.
I know the lingo is different all over and I am in Canada so, Chuck roast isn’t really called that here I guess.

Old school thread revival.
I have still been thinking about this one. Going to order for weekend pickup 2 of these 4lb chuck eye roasts.
I hope to get what I need, is there anything unique to the look of the roast? Or would it just come nicely marbled or does it have certain fat chunks in the middle like a rib steak does?
this is one I did with a 7 bone chuck roast following that Italian beef comment I made upthread.

Eye of Round around here are cheap on sale. Pretty lean like you say and are excellent for jerky.
I've done them for roasts for sliced beef before, kind of chewy if you just grill rare, I prefer medium rare and if you go medium well or well done you might as well toss it or cube it for hash.

I appreciate the tips, I’m nervous due to its lack of fat. I just read one recipe that called for it to be injected, cooked in a foil pan with injection juices and basted and cooked low at 225 for like hours to a med rare 145. What do you think?
It’s thawed and in the fridge now and I was going to heavily rub the outside.

I never tried the injection and low and slow method, but it sounds good.
I have tried the high heat method . Preheat oven to 500deg Roast for 21 minutes (seven minutes per pound) then turn off the oven and let the roast sit in the hot oven for 2 1/2 hours (or till the roast hits 145 deg) Do not open the door at all during this time.

I appreciate the tips, I’m nervous due to its lack of fat. I just read one recipe that called for it to be injected, cooked in a foil pan with injection juices and basted and cooked low at 225 for like hours to a med rare 145. What do you think?
It’s thawed and in the fridge now and I was going to heavily rub the outside.
I just posted photos over on the queso thread but will add one here too. My roast was about 2 and 1/2 lbs, I injected with a red wine, beef broth, W mix and left a little juice in the foil pan - I don’t think extra juice in the pan was needed but would recommend the injection. I cooked it at 225 until it hit 135 because I’ll usually microwave roast beef so it’s hot when I make a sandwich - it took maybe 2 or 3 hrs. I cut a few slices and had half a sandwich yesterday and it was delicious!

Attachments

• A7F8295B-258A-4B2F-A560-DEFE2AB1532F.jpeg
    A7F8295B-258A-4B2F-A560-DEFE2AB1532F.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 4

Back