"Old" versus "New" 18.5" WSM

David Funk

TVWBB Member
I have an older one (10 years old or so). I recently purchased a new one for a dear friend of mine.

The new one has a much deeper water pan, includes a factory themometer, has a heat shield below the firebox, and a better handle on the side door.

So I did two pork butts on the new one (after "breaking it in" with 5 racks of baby back ribs). The end result was great, but I had some difficulty keeping the lid temperature up. All through the night, I had to run the lower vents completely open, and occasionally open the side door to get the temp up to 225 or so. On my older one, the temp stabilizes (to around 225) after a couple of hours, with the lower vents about 1/4 open. Not so on the the new one.

The larger water pan takes up a lot more room in the firebox, which reduces the available air space. Maybe that's the reason... ?

With my older one, I can sleep through the night. I have to babysit the new one.

I use the Minion method, with Kingsford briquets. On an overnighter like this, I fill the firering to the top.

Any thoughts on this?

I have one of each too. I think the door on the newer model dones fit tighter not to say I haven't tried to adjust the older door. I do not like the new water pan and ordered a Brinkman but now I'm very near using a clay saucer 100% of the time. My guess is the new one may not leak as much air in addition to the obvious increase in water acting as a heat sink.

Originally posted by Gary S:
I have one of each too. I think the door on the newer model dones fit tighter not to say I haven't tried to adjust the older door. I do not like the new water pan and ordered a Brinkman but now I'm very near using a clay saucer 100% of the time. My guess is the new one may not leak as much air in addition to the obvious increase in water acting as a heat sink.
Yeah, that's pretty much where I was going. So how is the clay saucer used? Just put one inside the water pan, or all by itself?

I have a 2009 model 18 1/2" WSM. The new model water pan blocks full access to the charcoal ring.
I do not use water, so I got a Brinkmann charcoal pan and use it instead of the stock water pan.
I use a foiled clay flower pot base, in the foiled Brinkmann charcoal pan, and I've had great results.

Bob

Originally posted by Bob Mann:
I have a 2009 model 18 1/2" WSM. The new model water pan blocks full access to the charcoal ring.
I do not use water, so I got a Brinkmann charcoal pan and use it instead of the stock water pan.
I use a foiled clay flower pot base, in the foiled Brinkmann charcoal pan, and I've had great results.

Bob

My 18.5'' WSM arrives tomorrow. I was planning on using water the first couple of smokes as recommended. Afterwards, what if I were to just leave the pan empty and foiled? Will this not work? Maybe run too hot?

David some people put the saucer inside the water pan some do not. I used a mod. I read on here. I added two 1/4" washers to the inside bottom grill strap bolts. This brings the strap tabs a little bit closer together. I bought a 14" clay saucer from HD and it sit solidly on those strap tabs. It does not interfere with the lower grate. I foil the saucer and that's it. It's great for clean up and it works pretty well. I think...still have not made up my mind, I like the water pan best for ribs. By the way the wide rim on the Brinkman pan sits real solid with the washer mod.

Jon I think you're right on. You need to try the water pan and see for yourself. I do not like the new pan though and I would highly recommend the Brinkman charcoal pan as a substitute. As far as an empty pan foiled goes many of the members here do that. I have not so I don't know. If you are looking at it from a heat sink point of view, the clay saucer is more dense than an empty pan. Some also use sand...again I have not so don't know.

My observations, I bought the 18.5" about a month ago and have used the new "larger" water pan on overnight cooks without any temp. control issues - 225 with the bottom vents opened about 25%. I did one cook a few weeks ago where I filled the fire ring a little too much with unlit and I added a few large chunks of mesquite and then the 1/2 chimney of lit. I went to put in the water pan (it was dark outside) and noticed something odd - the pan was sitting on the fire. I had to open the door and use a stick to spread the coals around which resulted in some of them dropping outside the fire ring and caused me ventilation issues for hours. Next cook, I substituted my old Char Broil coal pan which is over one gallon and just the right diameter for the WSM large water pan.

I have an older (2008-9). I use the water pan for all long cooks and when I want to keep temp around 225 to 275. Temps hold solid and it is great!

I heard this tip here on the forum from someone else, tell the wife the cooker needs lots of attention. Invite a friend over and enjoy a cold beverage with your buddy for several hours.

Back