old 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Berry

TVWBB Fan
I just picked up a 26 1/2 inch today...craigslist find in Atlanta, $35. It's in really good shape, looks like they only cooked on it once. The only scratches are the ones I put on it during transport. Dang it. It came with a side table which is also in good condition. Is there any way to tell the age of these models? There is not a number code on the top vent. Also, did Weber offer side tables then or is this just something the previous owner added? Any info is appreciated.

Hey Michael, tell you what... package that thing and send it over here, I'll take a look at it and let you know anything and everything about it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Seriously, sounds like a great find you got there... photos of it may help and if Chris A chimes in, he knows a lot of Weber's history and such, he is sure to answer your questions.

I don't see a way to attach pictures....maybe I don't have permission yet since I'm a new member. Any suggestions? How do I get permission to upload photos? I'll work on it and send them as soon as I can. Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Michael Berry:
I don't see a way to attach pictures....maybe I don't have permission yet since I'm a new member. Any suggestions? How do I get permission to upload photos? I'll work on it and send them as soon as I can. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

See HERE

Weber made the 26 back in the late 60's. Is there a name of the city it was made on the vent? Is it a one touch or does it have 3 vents on the bottom? My brother has one from 1993 (it's wore out)and Weber stopped making the 26 for years and last year they came out with the 26 OTG. I bought one for my brother this Christmas and also one for me. You will love the 26, you may never use your other grills again.

Hey Mike,

Got to www.photobucket.com and register there. Create ana album and download any photos you wish to share into it. Underneath each picture will be a URL. When you open your next post or reply, click on the URL button on top of the box and copy and paste the address from photo bucket into the space provided when you clicked on the URL tab.

A picture says a thousand words...
Michael, you have found the pot o' gold at the end of the rainbow!
icon_smile.gif

You best go out and buy a lottery ticket tonight!

Thanks guys...Don't think I'm gonna sell it anytime soon but I'll keep you in mind Glenn if things get rough. Got it cleaned up and I'm gonna see how much stuff I can fit in there tomorrow. Got a Boston Butt, racks of ribs, couple of cabbages and some corn so far.

Back to Maynards questions above...the city on the vent is Arlington Heights, Ill. and it has tree vents on the bottom and what surprised me is they're not even stuck.

Thanks guys for all your help and comments. If you know anything else about it let me know. Tomorrows gonna be a great day for grilling....enjoy.

Michael,
Nice grill!
also check the three bottom vents for a date stamp.
I have a grill with "A" (1979) and has the metal kettle handles and one wood lid handle.
Here is assembly instruction for my "A" kettle and list the 26 in other colors also. This parts list came with my kettle but did not list blue for the 22"?

HPIM1978.jpg

HPIM1974.jpg

Thanks Maynard, I'll check the bottom vents today. Talk about a nice grill, I like that brand new blue. Glad to see I'm not the only one with a Weber set up in the house. I have a new burgandy 18 1/2 upstairs....just another reason for my girlfriend to think I'm crazy.

Michael, your girlfriend may change her tune after she samples the output from those barbecue thingys
icon_biggrin.gif

heck, she might even pop the question before you get a chance to put out the coals
icon_razz.gif

Have fun kid!

You lucky dog, Michael. I was going to buy that sucker, I can't believe it stayed as long as it did. The only reason I didn't get it was that I bought a 2001 like-new Performer on Monday.

I thought to myself..."That thing can't be in as good of shape as that picture looks."

Congrats. Keep it in good shape or sell it to me.

Don't scare me like that Jim..I might start messin up my grillin on purpose if the good stuff leads to marriage....I could do alot worse though.... Cooked enough tonight on that grill to feed 6 adults and 2 young 'uns. I like it...I like it alot. And yes Terre, I fell pretty lucky. My brother just looked at it, shook his head and cussed at me.......he's jealous.

I didn't find a code on any of the bottom vents. Still trying to figure out the age on this grill.

I had another question about this 26. I'm still trying to figure out about when it was made. I noticed the legs on this one are held in place with a bolt you can tighten with your hand which is different than my 18 & 22 with three vents on the bottom. Any idea when they stopped using the bolts on the legs?

Thanks guys

I'd guess lake 60's or early 70's. I have a 1968 or 69 Weber catalog and the grills had thumbscrews on the legs and rubber tires - like yours. The 18" and 22" were offered in 4 or 5 colors (at that time) while the 26" was only offered in three - two-tone brown, red and black. Each one had a model name as well - the only one I can recall at this time (catalog is at home) was the 26" brown - aka "The Chief".

US Patent No. 3,538,906, titled Barbecue Support Arrangement, was issued on November 10, 1970 and assigned to Weber-Stephen Products Co. The patent teaches a method to fit a kettle's legs into mounting sockets without need of thumbscrews.

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/3538906.pdf

The application for this patent was filed on November 22, 1968. I think it's a pretty safe bet that your 26" was manufactured before that date.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back