Ok, tested Alton Brown's suggestion last night.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mordechai Striks:
will, dont know if you kidding or not....but putting lighter fluid on the coals kinda defeats the purpose of why we using the chimney in the first place......one main reason why we use it is so that we DONT have to use lighter fluid........

good luck </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly enough, I'm not joking. I got him one for Christmas and a few months ago asked how he liked it; he then explained what he was doing. I told what the purpose of the chimney starter is and he no longer does it.
That's my good ole dad.

Response to Jim Minion's post:

Faster than a weed burner: why not think outside the box and figure out how to use a little napalm? Only trouble is that you'll probably wind up eating the salad and baked potato for dessert. Given the creativity in this group, someone will solve that problem in a day or two.

Sorry, Chris, for being a bit off topic, but I just couldn't help myself.

Rita

I have 2 chimneys, a Weber and some other brand. The other brand doesn't light well, and that oil on the paper trick works great. The Weber chimney requires 2 sheets of crumbled up paper and starts almost every time without any oil or addition re-lighting.

Er, uh, at least, withe Kingsford it does. Lump charcoal, on the other hand, has so many odd-shaped pieces, they don't fit in the chimney as well as the briquettes, and I find it harder to light as a result. Using oil on the paper can help.

Back