OK - Now I see why WSM vs Kettle. But would like suggestions on Spider-22 vs WSM 22 with mods

I may be late to the party, I’ll throw in an unsolicited endorsement for the Spider-22. I got one this winter and I couldn’t be happier with it. I live in Denver, where it’s dry and often cool at night. As such, I’ve found that pretty much every cook needs to be increased in time by about 25%. I’ve messed it up a couple times and nothing beats the safety net of just being able to turn up the temp with a dial. Anyway, I was shopping traditional pellet grills, and couldn’t get past the price point. An entry level traeger is around $600 and in my experience, they have problems—specifically that a sideways barrel with heat coming from one side will always have a temp differential. The Spider is amazing because it’s half the price, and it leverages the tried and true design of the Weber kettle, which has near perfect convection. It goes through pellets way more efficiently than the traeger, and the heat is much more even.

Anyway, I realize that this post wasn’t about deciding between a traeger and a spider, but since the spider is so new, I figured I’d offer my own experience with it to those interested.

Cheers!
Aaron
Aaron - Thanks so much. I have been hoping to find someone that actually has one, and their experience with it. On one of your cooks if you could do some photos and a write up I think a lot of folks here would love to see it. They must be selling, as the last time I checked, they were out of stock until late July 2021!

I did the minion method on the WSM starting at 11am and took the corned beef off at 4pm at a temp of 150. It was amazing how the WSM holds temp between 220-230 degrees. I only had to touch the WSM twice to stir the coals. Oh, and did I mention that it started raining non-stop at 1pm? I am very impressed! I was constantly adjusting vents on my kettle trying to keep temps when smoking in the past. My wife and I sampled the corned beef when we pulled off the smoker and at 150 degrees it was good, just a little salty.

I made the same mistake that you did in using corned beef as a non-boiled dinner. That's a big no no. Corned beef is meant to be cooked as a boiled dinner because of the salt. You'll want to use a regular brisket if you're roasting it.

I made the same mistake that you did in using corned beef as a non-boiled dinner. That's a big no no. Corned beef is meant to be cooked as a boiled dinner because of the salt. You'll want to use a regular brisket if you're roasting it.
The one that I smoked for about 4-5 hours then put in the Instantpot for 30 minutes was fantastic! Smoked and juicy and had lots of broth for the kasha. I was so thrilled I will do my next the same way. In fact I was thinking of trying a chuck roast for pulled beef, and doing it similarly to see what happens. Most of the chuck roasts I have seen done usually are finished in a covered pan for a few hours. Instead of doing that put in the pressure cooker for a short time should have an equal or better result I would think.

Aaron - Thanks so much. I have been hoping to find someone that actually has one, and their experience with it. On one of your cooks if you could do some photos and a write up I think a lot of folks here would love to see it. They must be selling, as the last time I checked, they were out of stock until late July 2021!
I’d be happy to. I’ve only done two long cooks (both pork shoulder) because I’m still a novice smoker and I wouldn’t dare attempt my first brisket in Denver in the winter. Mostly I’ve made some excellent wings and tri-tip steaks. And yes, the Spider 22 recently sold out until July. They are still a pretty small company and they can’t keep up with seasonal demand. I got mine in December. My neighbor borrowed it on Super Bowl Sunday, and informed me yesterday that he’s planning to buy his own. I didn’t have the heart to tell him...

I’d be happy to. I’ve only done two long cooks (both pork shoulder) because I’m still a novice smoker and I wouldn’t dare attempt my first brisket in Denver in the winter. Mostly I’ve made some excellent wings and tri-tip steaks. And yes, the Spider 22 recently sold out until July. They are still a pretty small company and they can’t keep up with seasonal demand. I got mine in December. My neighbor borrowed it on Super Bowl Sunday, and informed me yesterday that he’s planning to buy his own. I didn’t have the heart to tell him...
The first two smokes I did were briskets on the kettle last fall (I did not know I was not supposed to start there). Both were purchased from Costco. The first was a choice flat, the second was a Prime whole or packer. I followed this video and they came out fantastic. Still the best meat I have ever eaten any where in my life. I preferred the flat as I don't like a lot of fat. I cant wait to do another. Cooking with Ry. Give it a shot. Remember photos or video review!

Last edited:
I have only come across 1 WSM in my buy and restore ventures. It was an OLD 18" I got for $20. I did some patching and cleaning, and sold without ever using it. I had a corned beef I wanted to smoke and then finish in the Instant Pot as my previous instant pot one was short on flavor, as I think I added to much water and basically boiled it. I was going to do it on the kettle but since yesterday I found another newer 18" WSM for $90 that I could not pass up, I decided to give it a run before scrubbing and selling. I did the minion method on the WSM starting at 11am and took the corned beef off at 4pm at a temp of 150. It was amazing how the WSM holds temp between 220-230 degrees. I only had to touch the WSM twice to stir the coals. Oh, and did I mention that it started raining non-stop at 1pm? I am very impressed! I was constantly adjusting vents on my kettle trying to keep temps when smoking in the past. My wife and I sampled the corned beef when we pulled off the smoker and at 150 degrees it was good, just a little salty. I even thought about skipping the Instant Pot. I then put it in the instant pot on the rack with water in the bottom up to the rack on pressure for 30 minutes, and quick released the pressure. I added carrots and cabbage and did another 10 minutes. It came out fantastic and my wife really likes my hobby! She even said I should not be jealous of my ex-neighbor who smoked every weekend and never invited me try it, no matter how many hints I dropped. She can't imagine his being better than what I have been cooking.

I was just about to pull the trigger on a Spider-22 pellet attachment for my kettle, and thus turning it into the one grill grill that does everything. I have a rotisserie that I am not giving up. Now, after seeing this YouTube video that Phil N Florence put out on modding the WSM to make it a grilling machine
- I am thinking of just getting a 22 WSM just so I can use my rotisserie and other kettle stuff on it. I can say with some certainty that otherwise I will not ever need the capacity of a 22 WSM over an 18 WSM or even a kettle.
Unlike a lot of good folks on this forum with a dozen of grills in there signature, I like simple. I just want 1 gasser (My Q320 is great) and one charcoal fired grill / smoker)... but, I am also keeping my WGA.
Suggestions welcome. Spider-22 with Kettle, or 22 WSM with mods or perhaps something else. Remember I am quite frugal, almost always buy used. There are rotisseries for an 18" but stuff for 22s come up used way more because of all the kettles out there.
Here are the pics of my first WSM Cook ever.
View attachment 25194View attachment 25195View attachment 25196View attachment 25197View attachment 25198
Rest In Peace to Phil in Florence. That guy was awesome!

The first two smokes I did were briskets on the kettle last fall (I did not know I was not supposed to start there). Both were purchased from Costco. The first was a choice flat, the second was a Prime whole or packer. I followed this video and they came out fantastic. Still the best meat I have ever eaten any where in my life. I preferred the flat as I don't like a lot of fat. I cant wait to do another. Cooking with Ry. Give it a shot. Remember photos or video review!

You sir are in the minority. Give me the Point all day long. ;)

G

Back