OK, chimney or lighter fluid; when is the appropriate time

I use the chimney for the WSM, my kettle was used, and came with a portable electric starter so I cheat and use it on the kettle

I used to make my own chimneys from coffee cans. And I remember the day my high school biology teacher came to class with no eye brows or lashes and a interesting new hairdo. He said he was talking with his neighbor and wasn't paying attention to how much lighter fluid he put on the briquettes.
icon_redface.gif

Wow!! Rustye and I were sittin', chewin' the fat and wonderen' if we could get the Grillin' people fired up. I remembered this subject brought up before and the landslide of responses it brought. I was wondering if it would do the same thing again. Experiment accomplished!! The purist will speak out and strongly. We're laughin hard; just after eatin a thick ol ribeye!!!!! The dog is satisified with the experiment!

I think the real question is - why would you use it? I mean, what's the point?

I think here in California we aren't allowed to use any lighter fluid that actually burns so it's kind of a moot point - everybody's been using chimneys for ages.

sometimes i forget to bring my chimney when we go camping; that's the only time i ever use lighter fluid.

if i'm not using my performers gas assist, the weber cubes and "weber" chimney are a fantastic combo. the cubes blow using newspaper out of the water on windy days.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Wade:
I think here in California we aren't allowed to use any lighter fluid that actually burns so it's kind of a moot point - everybody's been using chimneys for ages. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well then, all the more reason to do it - BE A REBEL (YEE HAAAAAHHHHHH) [sorry, too much caffeine this morning]

Gawd, with all the P.C. stuff in CA, I'd last about 20 minutes out there....

To quote AB(not really), Lighter fluid is NOT good eats! Petroleum tastes like,well, petroleum! Use multiple chimneys if needed,but no to lighter fluid!! I hope I made myself clear.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Rob_Fox:
sometimes i forget to bring my chimney when we go camping; that's the only time i ever use lighter fluid. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Weber's paraffin cubes work fine to light a pyramid of briquettes or lumps. When I tailgate that's how I light the fire so that I don't have to either pick the coals individually out of the chimney or worry about sparks and cinders when I dump it.

Brad

I always use the chimney with 2 pieces of the NY Daily News.

Am I the ONLY one who chooses which pieces of paper to burn according to who's on 'em? (it's usually the back "sports loser" and a x-word puzzle that I couldn't finish!)

Should I seek help?????

Had to laugh at my dad a couple of years ago. He went out and bought a chimney starter, thinkin' he'd gotten the latest and greatest. He did get a good one, it was a Weber. Put his charcoal in to light, and doused it in lighter fluid.

just installed 20# tank on my weber performer.

fill up chimney, ignite propane tank, place chimney on flames. sweet!

no more newspaper

Back