Ohio Winter BBQ Season Begins

Nice thread! I live near Cleveland, and I have to cook for 25 next Wednesday. I'm doing Pork Shoulders.

Any recommendations on how much to make? I was planning 2 roasts, but lately I started thinking 3 would be a better idea to make sure there's enough food.

Since I bought my WSM and started last winter my wife believes that this is now prime BBQ season. She will use the phrase "BBQ weather" similar to "football weahter" whenever it gets cold and / or the weather gets bad.

During the summer she was saying how it just didn't feel right to be smokin in the heat!

Getting ready for one this weekend in Denver CO

Pulled pork and brisket.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven Hubbard:
Nice thread! I live near Cleveland, and I have to cook for 25 next Wednesday. I'm doing Pork Shoulders.

Any recommendations on how much to make? I was planning 2 roasts, but lately I started thinking 3 would be a better idea to make sure there's enough food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I grew up near Cleveland in Lorain. Came down to Columbus to attend OSU and have lived here since graduation.

The amount of butts depends on several factors: Bone-in? Size? Cole Slaw being served on sandwich? etc.

As you know, you'll lose easily half the weight during cooking. I cooked 3, six lb shoulders for my son's first birthday over the summer and we had quite a bit left over with about 25 people. I served slaw for topping the sandwiches and we had children eating too. I believe there are some threads on this site with yields on different meats and how much to expect to serve per person.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by B. Debo:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steven Hubbard:

Any recommendations on how much to make? I was planning 2 roasts, but lately I started thinking 3 would be a better idea to make sure there's enough food. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I grew up near Cleveland in Lorain. Came down to Columbus to attend OSU and have lived here since graduation.

The amount of butts depends on several factors: Bone-in? Size? Cole Slaw being served on sandwich? etc.

As you know, you'll lose easily half the weight during cooking. I cooked 3, six lb shoulders for my son's first birthday over the summer and we had quite a bit left over with about 25 people. I served slaw for topping the sandwiches and we had children eating too. I believe there are some threads on this site with yields on different meats and how much to expect to serve per person. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I grew up in Amherst, moved around the eastern US, and recently moved back near the CLE airport.

I think what I'll do is cook four butts, serve what everybody wants next Wed and save the rest for Christmas Eve Potluck.

Back