Oh my, gusty question

KenP

TVWBB Pro
I'm supposed to cook a couple of BBs today and it's mighty breezy out there. I don't have plywood for a windbreak, so I'm going to tuck the WSM up to the house on the porch and close to my grill. It'll be protected on two sides for the most part.

I hope that's sufficient.

What do I have to worry about most since it's only going to hit 70* today, getting temps up, keeping the temp down, or the ash that's going to fly around in the cooker?
icon_mad.gif

You should be ok, for a short cook. Fuel consumption is what I worry about with the wind. I keep my WSM tucked against the house (protected on 2 sides) and the wind dosent seem to be much of an issue on short cooks. Hopefully your protected on the side the wind is comming from
icon_wink.gif
Pay close attention to your temps on the way up, maybe shut your vents down a little earlier to be safe.

Edit: I just checked the forcast for VA beach, 25-40 mph winds
icon_eek.gif
Wind out of the NE, If your not protected from the wind on that side you may have a challenge on your hands, but I think as long as you have the time to moniter the smoker you should be able to keep it under control... how many bags of charcoal do you have? Maybe you can sandbag around the smoker
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Brandon

Oh no, I'm totally screwed. The "sheltered" porch is on the NE corner.
icon_eek.gif
lmao!!!

I've got plenty of coal, but it may be a non-issue as our guest just cancelled. However I really want some ribs.
icon_biggrin.gif

I think I'm going to cook them anyway. I guess the worst thing that could happen is I finish on the gasser.

Heck, I don't know now...
icon_confused.gif
icon_redface.gif

Take it around to the other side of the house out of the wind. I dont know, I dont think I've ever smoked in 30+ mph sustained and 40+ mph gusts. I was going to say it'll probably die down this afternoon, but the hour by hour forcast says its going to get windier....Probably not the best day for smoking
icon_frown.gif
I still think you can do it though
icon_biggrin.gif

Brandon

I think I can, I think I can, I think I can...

See my Off Topic History Channel thread. I'll be eating it alone....
icon_mad.gif

I guess the worst thing that could happen is I finish on the gasser.

blasphemy!

I love dealing with the weather. Thats the challenge of BBQing.. Granted, if I`m smoking something for myself its not stressful but if there was someone paying me for results... I might be a little stressed.

Wind plays with the fire. If you start with plenty of fuel, keep an eye on temps a little more often than you usually would and adjust vents as needed, you should be fine. If you plan on smoking in the winter, consider a wind break of some sort

The bottom vent that is in the wind can be closed all the way and use the other two to control pit temp, it helps.

Jim

I don't have a windbreak because I'd like to build a cart with one as part of it.

BTW, since our guest didn't make it I ended up tossing a steak on the grill.
icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help, tho. It's great.

Back