Offset vs H2O

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi All!

Don't let my forum name fool ya..... I'm new here and a complete noobee to smokers. But I really really reeeeally want one after this past weekend. My wife and I had a BBQ at a friends house and I must say that hands down I had some of the best ribs and chicken that I've ever tasted.

I have seen the light..... I is a believer now! LOL /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Anyway, I currently have a Weber Silver B gas grill that I absolutely love and now I'm trying to learn a bit about smokers before I go buy one. The smoker that my friend has is an offset style CharBroil (ducks and runs)
offset_silversmoker.jpg

I'm trying to decide between the offset style or an H2O style like the WSM. I'm sure I'll be happy with the Weber but I'm just curious about the differences between these two very different styles of smokers. When would you want to use one over the other? What are the pros and cons of each? Thanks so much!

--BBQBob

Bob,

I am certain you will get many other good responses on this topic. I just want to pass on my immediate reaction to the question.

I have both, i.e., a Brinkmann Cimarron offset and the WSM. I love'em both, but the Cimarron is much more difficult to control temps on. The most outstanding characteistic of the WSM is its ability to maintain stable temps over a long time.

The offset commonly has more cooking space unless you modify the WSM. My advice to you is to get the WSM first and learn about the art of BBQ, and then expand your fleet later.

Whatever your choice, you can get lots of help from this bunch! /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Bob, I was in exactly your situation last August. I was originally enamoured with those..emmm...inexpensive offset cookers. After a lot of research on the web, I realized that the cheap offsets sucked for temperature control and that you'd need to spend quite a bit more money to get a decent one with thicker steel. So, I opted for the WSM since it was so highly praised for it's temperature stability and ability to run largely unattended for long periods of time. I'm glad I bought my WSM!

Now, if you plan to cook large amounts of food at a time just buy several WSMs ;-)

Good luck!

Bob
I have more cookers than anyone needs, that said I would not buy a cheap offset for any reason.
The CharBroil once you factor in the hot spot does not have more usable cooking space than the a WSM. This feeling is not just about that unit but for all of the cheap offsets I have seem. You can make them cook, just don't plan on doing anything else.

Offsets are great cookers but save your money and buy one that is made of 1/4" steel, good design and workmanship.
Jim

Thanks for the Reply Guys!

I'm kinda leaning towards the WSM anyway. If the quality of the WSM is anything like my Genesis I know I can't go wrong. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Okay I gotta ask this even though I'm almost afraid too but.... ummmmmm.... what about electric smokers? The reason I ask is I opened my big mouth and my father-in-law offered me his electric smoker. He poo-poo'd the whole charcoal smoker idea. He sorta cornered me.... /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif and unfortunately I'm not educated enough to talk intelligently about these things yet. Are the electrics landfill or do they have some redeeming value?

--BBQBob

Bob,

I, too, thought an offset might be a good way to go. My plan was to use it to replace my ECB and a beat-up old Sunbeam charcoal grill. I watched the price go from $220 to $170 to $120!

But then I started doing some serious research about these units. My experience with the ECB was "set and forget . . ." about doing anything else for the day! I didn't want to put up with that hassle all over again. I kept reading war stories about all-night smokes with very little sleep. A few years ago that might ahve been fun, but it really makes work rough the next day!

Furthermore, the articles I found didn't seem to show that the offsets were so great as a grill replacement. It didn't seem sense to make that many compromises, so I ended up with a WSM (on order) and I'll keep my old grill through another couple of seasons.

Still, I'd be interested in hearing side-by-side comparisons to someone who's been there.

Bob, my buddy has an electric "smoker". It's just not the same. Although he likes it, and puts out some decent food on it, it's not for me. He plugs it in, throws a foil pouch of chips by the element, and that's all. No tinkering, no vents, little-to-no smoke. A few hours later he's done. It's a no-brainer that even Bobby Flay could handle.

For me, I enjoy the "journey" of cooking with charcoal and wood. From getting the coals just right in the chimeny, to the placing the oak chunks I've cut up, to monitoring the temperature and getting it right where I want it, seeing the wisps of smoke coming out of the top; it's all a very enjoyable tactile experience. You just don't get that with an electric unit. If ALL you're interested in is the end result (mediocre food), then the electric would be OK. But if you're in it for the experience and the journey, as well as the best barbecue you'll ever eat, go WSM. /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

(damn, I ended up rambling on!)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I'm trying to decide between the offset style or an H2O style like the WSM. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Bob dont waste your money on other H2O smokers either.
Ive used different ones and the WSM is the only one that truley works really well especially for long cooking.
Jim

Just to add to the good replies that you have already received, I would add the fact that the WSM uses less charcoal than an offset. The WSM is much more efficient with the heat from the charcoal as there is less metal and space that has to be heated.
On my offset, which is an old homemade job that someone gave me, I used probably twice as much charcoal to cook a batch of ribs than on the WSM. Offsets, in my opinion, are really better suited for wood burning.

Does the electric smoker have temp control? If it doesn't have a thermostat or some knob to turn to control temperature then I would stay away from it. A WSM provides excellent temperature control at whatever temp that you want. Want to ride 225 for 12 hours - no problem. Want to go for 275 for 8-10 hours - no problem. Want 350 for hours on end - no problem. The possibilities for cooking different meats at different temps for different effects with a WSM are really endless.

SC Que

I just got a WSM a few months ago after reading all the good things about it on this site. One of the things that helped convince me is the forum. Everybody helps you with recipies and how to smoke your food so it will turn out great. I have had a gas Weber grill for years and thought I made good bbq. Now I can't wait for the weekends to smoke some wonderful bbq for my family and friends. Your wife will also appreciate that the WSM does not take much space in your backyard. Where in NJ do you live?

Wow, this forum is surpising! I can't believe all the enthusiasts here. Thanks for all the replies! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I spent half the evening last night just surfing this forum and site. It's nice knowing that all you folks are here and eager to help newbies like me through the process. I feel WAY more confident knowing that I can lean on this site and all your collective knowledge for help. Well.... my mind is made up.... WSM here I come! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Now I just gotta save up for the purchase. /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

Again, thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

--BBQBob

Looks like you made up your mind. Congratultions on the decision to go with the WSM. I've had mine 5 weeks and am doing my 4th smoke this weekend. Most everything has been said and I agree with all of it.

Let me add one more thing -- It is a lot easier to post a question on this forum when you are 1/2 way through a 4-6 hour cook and get responsive, helpful, non-judgemental feedback than to have to call your father-in-law for advice /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

Good Smoking to ya!

DWL

I also finaly sprung for a WSM. Ordered it on Monday night. Should be here sometime next week. And my Maverick ET-73 thermometer will be here on Friday. Can't wait to dig into some BBQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back