Offset Smoker Question-NEED FEEDBACK

I have one. I like it. It's much more difficult to use than the WSM. It requires a few simple modifications for optimum performance.

If you like to tinker and interact with your cooking it's worth picking up to play with. The price is good (but it's very heavy and can't easily be shipped, you'd have to pick it up for it to be worthwhile.

Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill Freiberger:
I have one. I like it. It's much more difficult to use than the WSM. It requires a few simple modifications for optimum performance.

If you like to tinker and interact with your cooking it's worth picking up to play with. The price is good (but it's very heavy and can't easily be shipped, you'd have to pick it up for it to be worthwhile.

Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Was this unit made my New Braunfels before they were bought out by CharBroil?

Pretty sure it's the CharBroil without any design changes. It's a low end horizontal in the 100-300 price point and comes with the challenges that have fixes and retrofits posted on various other websites.

They are fun to use and play with. You can cook well with them. Just don't confuse it with any mid level "patio" model Horizontal with SFB that will cost about $1K delivered.

Cooked with a similar CG Pro/SFB for a good 4 years or so before the WSM. Lots of fun, and many good cooks. A lot more fire tending required for smoking though.

the person selling it probably bought a wsm and is trying to get rid of it. probably worth more recycling it for the scrap costs
icon_smile.gif

small offsets are terribly brutal things to cook with.

Me and friend of mine bought our smokers almost at the same time, I purchased a WSM and he got an offset similar to the one your looking at, guess who's getting better results and having more fun ?
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I have 2 of them, one is used to store all my bbq stuff in and the other one I did some modifications on it. It works ok but use too much fuel for smokeing and is not very good on holding temps. Now I just use it as a very large grill when doing a lot of hotdogs of chicken or what ever and they are heavy to move around. So save your $30.00 and your back trying to move that thing.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

seems to me like once you own a unit where the heat comes directly below the meat, then you have trouble looking back. If you don't own a wsm or similar, then I guess that may be all folks know and understand. I still see plenty of these sitting around collecting rust myself, and I personally wouldn't want one.

I've owned this or a very similar offset for several years and have always had extreme difficulty getting decent food out of it in spite of trying the suggested modifications. After getting my WSM, I doubt I will ever use it again; I might even pay someone $30 to take it away.

BTW, I spent more than that for fuel last time I tried to use the thing. Save your money for something better; you will be alot happier.

Chris

Back