Offset smoker box

John Willems

TVWBB Member
Do all professional BBQers use Smokers with offset smoker boxes? I think thats what they are called. Dose anyone build fires of wood or charcoal inside of smoker. I've got this Heavy metal box thats 2x4x2 feet & I like to build a lid for it. Thats why I was asking about smoker box. Thanks john-ks

Many competition teams use offset fire boxes, many use other forms of stick burners, and many use WSMs and weber kettles. There's more than one way to skin a cat, as it were.

John, sure, you could use it to make a grill and put the fire on one end to cook indirect. However, you'll have way better fire control and more cooking space if you attach a firebox to one end. By the way, that's a pretty good size for a cooking chamber.

I'd like to cook a half a pig on it. Don't think a whole hog would fit. Unless it was Very small. I plan on mounting it on a metal garden wagon so I can move it around easy.I'm getting where I like Metal garden Wagons. I just finished building myself a Dutch Oven Cooking table on a wagon. ( Wishbones Kook'n Wagon) Its 4ft x 2ft x 2ft high. I can get my Grub bag underneath as well as a half a dozed dutch ovens. Have a ramp & I load into the back of van. It is Made out of Alum Tread plate around the outside with a 1/4 thick Alum plate cooking surface. john

John, here is a 120 lb hog I did a couple months ago. The rack it's on is 53"x27". We cooked it in an 84" Lang.

DSC03431.jpg

DSC03436.jpg

Nice Looking Hog. My friend Leo has a BBQ Smoker where he can cook 2 whole hogs at a time. We have annual Hog feed at high School to raise money for Fine Arts Booster Club to give money for Bands, theater & Chorus to go to competitions. We gave out 2 $500.00 scholarships last year too. Maybe I should find a 80lb pig dress out. john

Back