O L I V E S: Which do you use how?

Originally posted by K Kruger: RE: Cerignola Olives -
Smooth, rich, buttery flavor.

You sure were correct (as usual) about these!
Made a trip to a local Italian grocer on the East Side (Glorioso's in Milwaukee recently expanded and moved to what used to be Brady Street Pharmacy).

Saw some of these beauties in the deli case and had to give 'em a try. They had Green, Red (I was told that red is actually green with dye), and Black.

I got a small tub of the black ones - they're BIG suckers, and quite tasty. Going to have a few tonight with spagetti & meat balls, with some imported Provalone cheese that we also picked-up there.

Cool. Copped some myself in Spanish Fort, Ala last week, along with some Castelvetranos (also highly recommended). Olive feast in Okla tomorrow eve!

I've used the chopped green olives in pizza. A little goes a long way
icon_smile.gif
. Mainly I use the sliced black olives in my pizza. They don't cover up the flavor of the other ingredients. Made a Greek pizza once with feta cheese,marinated artichoke hearts and kalamari olives. "was da bomb"
icon_eek.gif

Typical unripe olives are packed in vinegar. This can easily make them overwhelming. Cerignolas and Castelvetranos are usually water-packed, like canned ripe olives. This preserves their buttery, full flavor - and also means you can use a lot with no fear of overwhelming.

All can say is wow! I usually only eat olives that are stuffed w/bleu cheese and swimming in Kettle One. I had read these posts and new I had to seek them out. Went to a friends for Christmas and he had some olives on the antipasto tray and said I just had to try one. I knew when ate it that this must be what Kevin was talking about but my buddy didn't remember the name. He finally needed to go back to the market today and invited me along (hour drive).
We ask the guy what kind of olives these are and he says "cerignola". Had to come back to this thread to confirm but I knew back at Christmas time that I had tasted what all were raving about.

Many thanks!

Back