NYC Meat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stone

TVWBB Super Fan
I'm having a hell of a time finding bone-in shoulder and full briskets. Costco's don't carry them around here. Most of the markets I call have never heard of them. I think I have to go to Fairway's 125 Street outlet. (74th doesn't have them.)

Any ideas? Anywhere in Manhattan or up in Dutchess County.

Thanks.

Don't you have butcher shops?

Otherwise...mebbe a trip to the meat packing district! Or is that all condos now?

Sadly the meatpacking district is all trendy bars and restaurants. Butcher shops aren't open when I can get at 'em. Still not sure if a butcher shop in Manhattan would have pieces of meat this size. Other than Lobell's, but they charge bout $16 a pound for brisket.

Hey, I just saw that Lobell dude on Martha Stewart's rerun last night. Sixteen dollars a pound???! Great googa mooga.

Hmmm. There's just GOT to be SOMEWHERE there. Surely the nice Jewish population is still buying briskets, yes? The only place i can find a WHOLE untrimmed brisket is at a Jewish market in Bethesda, MD. They even order 'em for ya. So...maybe let your fingers do the walking and see if someone can order you one, and accomodate your hours.

Stone, why not move 2 hrs north and make anchors at the "SPA" for this month. Not only is there a multitude of butcher shops the horse racing aint bad either!!
icon_smile.gif

I can get trimmed brisket first cut flats anywhere. I'm looking for the whole mess or, as most of the meat guys I call say "with all the fat".

I was walking by Lobel's last year before the holidays and asked if he had brisket. He said yes, $16 a pound. I smiled at him. He smiled back. Wow.

I did buy one of their $20/pound shell steaks. It was fricking good. Although would have been better if made by someone other than me.

i know there must be places in NYC were you can get a brisket....if you want a kosher place i can do some looking for u......oh the lower east side has plenty of them and im sure on the upperwest side as well i can find you a butcher...if you want let me know and ill look for you....but if not there...brooklyn and queens..got plenty there....and queens is only 15 from midtown tunnel...hey, and its only $8 a pound if you want a full brisket and not $16

let me know

My problem is that I work frmo 8:30 a.m. to about 8 p.m. It's not easy to find a butcher open at 9.

there are not going to be many places open at that time....probably like a costco or sams but i think they close at 9pm neways....some kosher butcher shops are open late on thurs nights....that probably the best lead i can give ya....

If you got 'em, I'll take 'em.

(Although they're probably not a good souce of pork shoulder.
icon_biggrin.gif
)

Ok ill do some looking in NYC for kosher butcher shops ill make some phone call....its gonna be more expensive then the 1.33 a pound...prob around $9 a pound if you buy an entire brisket.....and ya the pork thing just aint happening....
take care
Mords

there are some really good and famous meat stores on 9th ave near 42nd st. they have been there for many decades. I'm sure you can get anything there. also in the village on 1st ave and 12th st there is a butcher shop that you can order any kind of meat from. When my family lived in NYC that's where we used to go. They are still there.

Stone, Esposito's on 9th Avenue near the Port Authority is a decent butcher. And FreshDirect.com will deliver you a delicious bone-in butt, right to your door (and you get to set the time, within a two-hour window) -- although, as I posted somewhere else, their beef ribs leave a little to be desired. I haven't tried their brisket yet, but I hope to do one soon (they do have them in stock).

I'm of the opinion that the best butcher in NYC is Staubitz, on Court Street in Brooklyn, but that may be a bit of a hike for you.

Our Key Foods only has picnic shoulders (which I've used) and spares (likewise). No brisket, no BBs, no beef ribs, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back