Number of charcoal starts??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Wene

TVWBB Member
I'm in the market for a new Performer and was wondering how many starts you guys gets from the small one pound disposable propane tanks? I'm thinking it must not be too many since i see many threads about converting it to fit a 5lb or even 20lb tank.

Thanks much

I haven't kept track, but shooting from the hip, I'm guessing I get between 15 - 20 cooks out of a single can. I always use a chimney and generally secure the propane after about 5 minutes. Just long enough to get the bottom half of the coal going good and hot. Actually it may even be more than 20 in some months.

Thanks Mike, that helps. I was thinking if I could only get 6 or 8 starts then it would be worth converting to a larger tank, but there's no way I'll stick a big bulky tank on there if I can get 20+ starts from a small disposable tank....Sometimes I can find them for 2 bucks.

Thanks again.

I have been surprised by the number of posts I see on here with people complaining about the small tanks or wanting to convert to a 20lb tank. I knew that on my first tank I got way more than the 10-20 numbers I see thrown around here, so I have been counting on this tank. I am at 32 right now, with 33 firing up some fajitas tonight.

I havent used a chimney since I got the performer. I make a mound in the middle, let the propane run 3-5 minutes. Ready to cook in 15 minutes. There is no need to let the propane run longer, and I would never put a big ugly 20lb tank on my performer.

My performer has the 5lb propane. Sometimes I would just have the flame going for 1 minute and turn off. If time is not on my side I will leave on for 5 minutes. But once the briquete comes in contact w/ the flame it will catch and light the chimney fairly fast. It is not necessary to leave the flame on for 5 minutes, but of coarse will get your coals going faster. I like to throw some shavings of mesquite on the chimney of coals and smell up the block..the neighbers cook on a gasser...how sad
icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Wene:
Thanks Mike, that helps. I was thinking if I could only get 6 or 8 starts then it would be worth converting to a larger tank, but there's no way I'll stick a big bulky tank on there if I can get 20+ starts from a small disposable tank....Sometimes I can find them for 2 bucks.

Thanks again. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at Target this weekend, and they had two packs for $4.99.

I have to admit my time numbers were a best guess. Last night I put a timer to it, I let the propane start as I normally would and checked how long the gas was running. It was 2 minutes 18 seconds. I always watch the coal ignite and dont leave it unattended while the gas is on, mainly because it is so quick.

I was ready to cook 14 minutes after I shut the gas off. I use a big pair of tongs to push the mound of coals to the far side of the kettle setting up an indirect fire. I mainly use Stubbs natural briqs, but have simular results with lump the few times Ive used it in the kettle. 33 starts on this tank now, hopefully a few left, which reminds me I should pick up a double pack next time Im at walmart. I love my performer
icon_biggrin.gif

My Performer has the 5 pound tank. I normally don't use a chimney (just make a pyramid in the middle) and let it go about 3-5 minutes. I cook on this at least 2-3 times a week, even in the winter. I just refilled my tank for the first time since moving into my house in 2004.

HOLY CRAP Tommy!!

Lets break this down:
5 years, 52 weeks per year = 260 weeks

260 weeks times 2.5 starts per week = 650 starts!!!

650 starts divided by 5lbs = 130 starts per lb of propane!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back