Nubie

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Well here we go, new WSM and first fire....Got the WSM on Thursday, had to wait for the rain and wind to stop. Nice day here, 53 with a slight breeze and plenty of sun...

Put on a three slabs of ribs using the BRITU method. Only a few mistakes so far...Need to start sooner and make sure the ribs are ready before starting up the WSM...So far so good.

Ribs on at 12:00 temp at the lid is 240 with the vents at 25% each...

I started with a full load of Kingsford, do you think it would be possible to crank it up when the ribs are done to do a couple of chickens??

Wish me luck. I hope everyone is having a good Q day....Jeff...

A full ring can get 10 - 12 hours without much difficulity. You should be able to do some chickens if your willing to stay up that late. The ribs are going to take about 6 - 8 hours and I think a couple chickens will take about 3. That puts you at about 10:00pm before the chickens come off.

If you put the ribs all on the top rack, you can put the chickens in when about three hours is left. They have to go on the bottom rack and since you're doing the ribs, you cannot turn up the heat. The chicken will still be very good except for the skin. I don't like the skin so that's not an issue for me.

Jeff,
Welcome aboard! What kind of ribs are you cooking? Like Jerry said it could be a long wait (if you are doing spares). If you are doing loin ribs you are in great shape! And yes you can crank it up when the ribs are done to cook your chickens! Good luck, post some pics of the finished product! Nice to have another Virginian aboard!
icon_biggrin.gif

I'm doing loin ribs, so I should be okay on the time. I think I'll do the roasters tomorrow after I brine them. I may crank the heat up and try a few chicken breasts tonight though. I'll try to post some pic's of the finished product.

Thanks for all the info. Luv this site, hats off to Chris for creating/maintaining this site!

Bealeton, not to far away....

Jeff, disassemble the WSM and put the cooking grate on the charcoal ring(smoky joe wannabe)...should have plenty o' heat to do some chicken breasts.
icon_wink.gif

Great idea for the chicken!

3:00 I popped the lid and turned them over. Looking good! Cranked the botton vents open to raise the temp. Can't wait to dive in!

Trying to get the batteries re-charged in the camera for some pic's, I think it will be ready in time.

Here is a link to the pictures of the finished product:
http://users.adelphia.net/~jonesjeffr/FrameSet.htm

Turned out great! Took them off the WSM about 4:30. Pulled 4 ribs out for a little pre-dinner taste test, two for me and two for the wife. She ate all four!

I put on 5 boneless skinless chicken breasts about 4:00. By 5:15 they were at 155. Since they were holding up dinner I nuked them for about three minutes to top them off at 165. Turned out nice.

I could only get the WSM up to 235 at the lid that last hour. I opened all the bottom vents, stired the coals, and even opened the door, 235 seemed to be the top end...

I hope everyone had a good Q day.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back