Nu-Temp remote thermometer troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

A few weeks ago, I attended a Paul Kirk class. While cooking, I noticed that the remote sensor was off by 60 deg.
Luckily, I had a spare oven thermometer and everything went off without a hitch.
The probe was good when switched to another unit.
I changed batteries on the sensor, that wasn't the cause. Out of frustration, I opened up the sensor case (10 screws). Voila, I found the problem! Correct temperature is only obtained when the probe is firmly "locked" in the probe jack (female). The jack is of the the rocker switch lock variety.The switch locks when the probe cable (male end) moves across it's surface. The problem arises when frequent use loosens the rubber boot that holds the jack in a stationary place. If the jack moves around, the probe cable never gets firmly seated thereby giving a false reading. The fix is easy; reattach the rubber boot to the female jack. The sensor now works normally. I still haven't figured out why Nu-Temp and Polder don't incorporate a simple On/OFF switch in their design. It would save batteries and the probe cable could be left attached.

Roy,

I have a NU-Temp wireless and a Sunbeam Temp-Time. The probe that came with the NU-Temp will work in both units, the one that came with the Sunbeam will not. The NU-Temp probe has a small shoulder, built into the plastic part of the plug, that goes into the remote unit. This small shoulder (smaller diameter than the rest of the plastic) allows the plug to actually reach deeper into the unit. With this little trick, you are required to use NU-Temp probes or, at least, ones with the specially designed plug.

As for an on/off switch, I don't see the need. These units use very little power and will easily last more than a season or two, without changing batteries. My NU-Temp is only 7 months old but my Sunbeam is about three years old. I've never changed the batteries in either one and keep the probes plugged in during the entire cook.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back