NU-701 UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
Just thought i pass on some info about the Nu-Temp
NU-701 wireless thermometer. The range of this is fantastic. I live in a solid brick rancher 26ft wide x 50 ft long, solid brick with plaster walls that range from 3/4" to 1" thick. I walked into every nook and cranny in this house upstairs, basement,and garage which is downstairs through the basement approximately 65 ft from the WSM and it never faultered. The WSM sits out on the side deck and sits 1 ft away from the brick exterior. This cost more than the Polder wich i thought about buying but did not like the reports that if you get water in where the wire connects to the probe it goes dead. I highly recomend this wireless thermometer.IMO It's money well spent. Happy Smoking. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

You are right, Brian, the Nu-Temp NU-701 is a great unit!

As for making your probes water resistant, placing them in a pan of 250?F oil for about 10 to 15 minutes really helps. Keep the wire-to-probe connection joint higher than the tip, so any air or water can bubble out. If the probe already has water in it, heat it in a 325?F oven for an hour, or so, and then hang it, probe end up, to allow evaporation and cooling. Then, perform the oil 'seasoning' treatment on it. Never put the probe in a dishwasher; wash it carefully, by hand.

Hi, Ray i bought the NU-701 because you reponded to my questions about it from an earlier post. Thank you for the advice that you and all the other great people have given me. Happy Smoking.Bryan /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Where did you buy the nu-temp 701 and how much... I am looking now after researching the models and it appears as if the nu-temp is the way to go.

Robert,

You may be able to find it elsewhere for less but you can always get it direct from Nu-Temp. Just click on BBQ Accessories and then make your selection. The NU-701 is the one listed as "Simple Wireless Food Thermometer" and is also the one in the "BBQ Combo" package. They also have the NU-700 but I don't know anything about it.

Williams and Sonoma is selling a remote that looks more like a polder knock off for 45$$ (on the back it says maverick) What are the advantages to the Nu temp at 69$
hat I am relly looking for is a remote with two separate probes. One for the meat and one for the temp at the grill. Does anyone know if such a gadget exists?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tom Raveret:
[qb]What I am relly looking for is a remote with two separate probes. One for the meat and one for the temp at the grill. Does anyone know if such a gadget exists?[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, Maverick makes a model like this. Go to the Measuring Temperature In The Weber Bullet page and scroll down to the section, "Measuring Temperature At The Cooking Surface". Paragraph 7 describes the unit, and there's also a picture you can click on to get a view of the product.

Regards,
Chris

I have the dual-probe version of the Maverick and have been quite happy with its performance.

It has separate hi-temp alarms for each of the two probes. You can set the display to alternately display both probe settings or stay on either one.

I generally use one probe to measure cooking chamber temperatures and the other probe to measure internal meat temperatures. However, they are also useful in getting a handle on temperatures at different grate levels.

It also has multiple timers, so you can set one to go off when it's time to flip the meat and another to measure cumulative cooking time, etc.

Maverick started shipping new high-temperature probes (500+ degrees) as replacements. These have significantly heavier wiring than the standard Polder probes. I assume they have probably starting shipping these with the units by now.

The outside sender unit that the probes plug into has its own LCD display that shows the temperature of both probes, so you can use that unit by itself. It's very small and fits easily in a zip lock sandwich baggie for cooking on those rainy days. The inside unit is like the big fancy Polder with memorized settings for type of meat (beef, poultry, etc) and various doneness levels. Of course, you can also manually set your temperature alarms.

The only thing it doesn't have is a lo-temp alarm.

/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif ouch. the Maverick does not have a low temp alarm....that one hurts (and I just ordered one). what would you (or anyone) suggest as a work around...getting up 2 or 3 times during the night and always wondering seems if it is at the right temperature seems likd it might be stressful.

You can see from my last post, that it is early, I have not had two cups of coffie and that I should have previewed my post.... please put the "seems" in the right place for me when you read the post /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back