NOVA Help!! Where to get fresh pork butt?

Andrew B

TVWBB Member
My across the street (Food Lion) Fresh pork butt spigot has been capped and replaced with Smithfield "enhanced" butt at $2.49/lb!! Giant does'nt carry it, Wegman's, Costco, or Safeway either. If you know of a hook-up in Sterling or there abouts, please fill me in!

As for now, I have 3 "salties" cooking sans sodium in the Brown Rub, I'll post how it turns out.

Try Sams Club. I believe there is one in Del City, and know of a Sams in Landover Md.

I hope that bit of info helps you out.

Next time you visit Costco, see if they sell packages of country-style ribs. They are cut from whole, boneless pork butts in the meat department.

If they have 'em, pick up a package and ask one of the guys/gals behind the window if you can buy the whole piece they cut them from. They may not even know what a pork butt is, so don't use that term. Just ask for the uncut package of meat. They come two butts to a Cryovac package at every Costco I know of.

Good luck,
Chris

Thanks for the insight Chris, and the Sams club locations, Dave. I'll troll for a guest pass to Sams....

Anyway, the butts are done, and.....

Yeah, you still need to add salt to the rub when doing an "enhanced" butt. Maybe not a full dose, but my bark is missing that zip that only salt can provide. I'll try and make up for it with my vinegar sauce.

The people i'm serving think Que-ing means dogs and burgers, so i think I'll be safe.
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">They may not even know what a pork butt is, so don't use that term. Just ask for the uncut package of meat. They come two butts to a Cryovac package at every Costco I know of. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Chris is right... I kept asking at two costcos nearby and got nowhere until I told the guy I want the big old cryovac package of meat that the uncut country style ribs come in. Then he says, "oh, you want a full crate". I said, yes... they brought out a cryo of pork butt. So, ask for the big 13-14 cryovac package (or full crate) of uncut country style ribs.

The only downfall of the costco ones is that it is boneless, which means they do a bit of a butcher job in the packing plant of taking out the bone. Some folks tie them up (I do), some don't.

Either way, it tastes mighty fine.

- Adam

Andrew! I think you need to go back to Costco!

I live in Fairfax, and can get pork butt in the cryovac every time at the Rt 50/Rt28 Costco and the WestOx/Rt29 Costco. I'm sure the Cascades Costco would have it to.

The only trick is that you have to ask. They NEVER have it out. Sometimes, if you get the wrong person, they won't know what you are asking for. You have to say "Pork Butt in the cryovac package". They absolutely should have it.

I think I paid $1.39 or $1.49 2 weeks ago.

-Matt

Thanks Matt,

I will absolutely ask the butcher about the pork butt when I pick up the ribs. That price is great too!!

Back