Not holding temp

C.W. Nash

Today is the fourth time I've used my 18" WSM. Each time I've had the same issue and I can't figure out what is causing the problem. The first smoke I used water in the pan, the next two I used the flower pot base heat sink, and this time I went back to water in the pan.

The first four hours go great. I can get the WSM between 225* - 250* and it holds. After hour four it starts to drop off. I've been playing with it for over an hour now trying to get the temp to come back up. I pulled the middle and top section off together and shook the ashes in the basket. I've had all three vents full open for the past 45 minutes and it's still only sitting at 216*F.

I started with a full basket of coal minus the half chimney starter I lit to get things going.

What in the world am I doing wrong? There has been no wind today and it's probably close to 80*F outside right now. The WSM is getting partial sun and has been for the past couple of hours.

Thanks in advance for any advice. I started an 8lb pork shoulder and 11.5lb brisket at 5am hoping to at least have pork for dinner but at this rate we'll be eating pizza.

Howdy C.W. I have to assume you do NOT have an automatic Temperature Controller ???? I do, so I will tell you how I cook on my 18 1/2 inch WMS and see what you think. First, I NEVER use water in the pan. I've heard too many stories it causes more problems in maintaining temps than it's good for. I foil wrapped my pan, put a clay saucer on top of it after I also wrapped it in heavy duty foil. I always CLOSE all my vents except the top one and I only open it about 1/4 to 1/2, but keep in mind I have a blower (DigiQ2 DX) blowing air in on of the vent holes at the bottom of the fuel bowl. Mine will go from cold to 225 in a matter of minutes using this technique, and much higher if I wish. I think the water in yours is possibly causing the problem. If you put the clay saucer or plate on top of the water, the water serves no purpose, IN MY OPINION. The meat will be tender and juicy without water. I do not know of anyone, except some on this forum, who use water. Leave it empty and don't give up. Be sure you have adequate charcoal in the bottom ring and that pit will give you temps well into the 300 range all day long. It will also give you 14-16 hours of cooking without re-fueling if you do an overnight low and slow cook.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I'm still new to the WSM family but I'll take a shot at it. First thing that came to mind was the therm,if you're useing the lid therm for your readings it may only be going up so far and then registers the drop or it could be your fuel. There is always the possiblity that it got wet or collected moisture either where it's kept now or where it was kept at the store/warehouse. How does it look in the ring when it's burning,I mean does it look like it's all ashed and burning or does it look somewhat unburned,that could be a good sign that fuel is bad. Other than that it almost sounds like the air supply is being cut off some how and choking out your fire. I can't say for sure that this is whats wrong but it's a start.

My limited understanding is that having water in the pan is a Good Thing if you want temps in the range of the boiling point of water (212-ish) and not too much higher. If you want to go hotter, then you are going to be using more and more energy boiling water as you try to push the temps higher.

If you want temps more like 250F I would add another vote for running without water. Take this with a grain of salt 'cause I'm only on my third WSM cook myself.

I agree with what Don said.
What type of therm are you using and where is it located @ lid, vent or grate?
And to the fuel, your not using something like Cowboy are you? Oh and you do have all 4 vents opened not just 3 right?

Tim

I agree with Don and/or Timothy. I fill my pan wuth water and the cooker will run a minimum of 13 hrs. in the 225' - 275' range with a full ring of charcoal.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm burning Kingsford charcoal and it looks fine. The top vent I always leave wide open so when I mentioned the three vents earlier I was referring to the bottom three.

It finally came back up but like I said earlier, this phenomena occurs whether I run a clay saucer or water in the pan. Just can't figure it out.

I'm using a Redi Check dual probe thermometer. One on the top grate, the other is in the pork shoulder. I don't have any other electronics on the smoker to control temps.

Well here's another thought,maybe the temps drop some because of a slight ash build up after the 4hrs burn. I'm thinking this because you say the temps start going back up which would happen after some of the ash has dropped on through the grate. I mean everything you're doing sounds text book to me.

By all means DO NOT rely on the Weber Temperature Guage on the lid. I've read and heard too many stories about how inaccurate they are. My Weber thermoter and my Electronic Temp Controller are always about 25-30 degrees apart.

I use Stubb's Charcoal, which is readily available at Lowe's most everywhere, and I've had good luck with it. I've not heard of a LOT of people bragging on Kingsford but it should not be the reason your temp is dropping. I hope you figure it out as the WMS is a great smoker and you will enjoy it to the fullest when you get your issue corrected.

It has the temp gauge built in to the lid and it typically reads a little below the dual probe thermometer.

Temps have rebounded and it is chugging along pretty well. The fuel was getting a little low so I just put some more in.

Still can't explain the lull that seems to happen every time though.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by George David:
By all means DO NOT rely on the Weber Temperature Guage on the lid. I've read and heard too many stories about how inaccurate they are. My Weber thermoter and my Electronic Temp Controller are always about 25-30 degrees apart.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mine is accurate for the temp at the dome as I'm sure many are. You just have to take into account the temp at the dome is about 20' less than the temp at the grate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C.W. Nash:
It has the temp gauge built in to the lid and it typically reads a little below the dual probe thermometer.

Temps have rebounded and it is chugging along pretty well. The fuel was getting a little low so I just put some more in.

Still can't explain the lull that seems to happen every time though. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You might want to check the accuracy of the Redi Check when you are finished cooking.
Sounds like you have everything in control now-best wishes to you!

Back