not getting alot of grill marks.. need help

I'll chime in here. 11 minutes preheat is no where near enough time, on, for the Spirit (IMO). My Summit Gold D I would preheat for at least 20-30 min. I would do a minimum of 20 minutes for the pre heat. As mentioned let sit about 2 min before rotating and remember to move the steak to another part of the grill that the steak was not sitting on (super hot part of the grill to get the cross hatch marks). Also remember that if you have a modified grill say like a Smokey Joe Platinum, using Lump (it's all I use) that gets well over a 1000 degrees, it's so freaking hot that you will not get grill marks. Just saying from experience on the later. :maroonkettle:

Last edited:
remember to move the steak to another part of the grill that the steak was not sitting on (super hot part of the grill to get the cross hatch marks)

Excellent point. Just changing the steak's orientation on the part of the grill it just cooled off is not going to help in the marks department.

In addition to my Weber 22" Mastertouch I also have a Weber Smoky Joe in which I place one of those commercial "Grill Grates" on top and my steaks come-out with some great grill marks.

Back