Norther blowin in and

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Provance

TVWBB Super Fan
am going to do ribs this afternoon. Had planned on kind of doing them with a Mini- Minion. Idea of getting all the heat in the WSM just to fight it back down seems counter productive and time consuming to me. But with the wind going the way it is, will I be able to bring up the temp slowly. This is my second cook, and I don.t want to screw up the backs. I'm cheap. Also want them to be good. Input will be greatly appreciated.

Mike
I can see you don't know the Minion Family there is no such thing as a Mini Minion! /infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif
Jim

Mike....

First, move the WSM out of the wind as much as possible. If the temp will be dropping, as well, then I would light a few more briqs in the chimney.

That is how I control the ascent of the temps inside the WSM....lighting more or less briqs based on the ambient weather conditions and the meat load. I use only the Minion method for all my meats.

The amount of unlit briqs in the charcoal ring is a constant...it never changes....very full for pork butts, about 3/8 for ribs, etc. So, the only way I control my temps is by how many lit briqs I use.

It takes some practice, but the learning curve is very short. Again, taking notes is a great idea...but if you don't care for that approach, just pay very close attention to what is going on around you and then remember it for future reference.

Mr. Minion, You're right. Born yesterday. Mr. Stogie, You were able to see through my lack of clarity. Just don't put as many coals in the ring, and it will still work. {Hence the phrase "Mini Minion"} Thank you both for responding to this and other posts of mine. You all are really helping to shorten my learning curve, and that is greatly appreciated. /infopop/emoticons/icon_redface.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back